Old 02-23-2012, 21:27   #1
DianaArtemis

DianaArtemis has a reputation beyond reputeDianaArtemis has a reputation beyond reputeDianaArtemis has a reputation beyond reputeDianaArtemis has a reputation beyond reputeDianaArtemis has a reputation beyond reputeDianaArtemis has a reputation beyond reputeDianaArtemis has a reputation beyond reputeDianaArtemis has a reputation beyond reputeDianaArtemis has a reputation beyond reputeDianaArtemis has a reputation beyond reputeDianaArtemis has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Objectification of women

I got into trouble recently when I asked a female player how she protected herself wearing so little clothing. She felt I was being rude, but i was just curious. I apologize to all female players who wear the scanty outfits issued as armor. My purpose is not to be rude or insulting, but to educate.

As woman who comes from a time when women had to fight for equality (which we still don't have in many areas -- especially salaries), it does upset me to see the female characters displayed as sexual objects. I'm sure you youngsters don't realize that this is a step backwards for women, but I do wish you would think about it.

Also, think about the self image you are projecting. If that's the image you wish tp project, then I respect your choice. You will say, "but this is just a game". Yes, but the people behind the characters are real. Is this how you want them to see you?

Girls, you will need a strong self image when you go out into the work force. Have faith and confidence in yourself. I will respect your choices, but you must also respect my right not to agree with them.

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2012, 14:23   #2
IslandMan

IslandMan is on a distinguished road
Wake up

Firstly, a good many of the female characters that you see, are actually men IRL.

- Helen Keller
IslandMan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2012, 08:15   #3
Feon

Feon is on a distinguished road
I believe that has NOTHING to do what Orignal poster stated. It has more to do with the design of the customs, not who play it...

A lecturer once told me never to have an opinion until you first have an "interpretive understanding" first. And this comes after Actual knowledge..
Learn, think, think some more, talk.

yes yes.
Feon is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2012, 12:05   #4
MyThirdAccount
Banned

MyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond reputeMyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond reputeMyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond reputeMyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond reputeMyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond reputeMyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond reputeMyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond reputeMyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond reputeMyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond reputeMyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond reputeMyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaArtemis View Post
I got into trouble recently when I asked a female player how she protected herself wearing so little clothing. She felt I was being rude, but i was just curious. I apologize to all female players who wear the scanty outfits issued as armor. My purpose is not to be rude or insulting, but to educate.

As woman who comes from a time when women had to fight for equality (which we still don't have in many areas -- especially salaries), it does upset me to see the female characters displayed as sexual objects. I'm sure you youngsters don't realize that this is a step backwards for women, but I do wish you would think about it.

Also, think about the self image you are projecting. If that's the image you wish tp project, then I respect your choice. You will say, "but this is just a game". Yes, but the people behind the characters are real. Is this how you want them to see you?

Girls, you will need a strong self image when you go out into the work force. Have faith and confidence in yourself. I will respect your choices, but you must also respect my right not to agree with them.

Thanks.
lol sounds like my anthropology class.

Now how should I put it. Change of values and not in intellect? Women are basically equal to men now all that is behind them. Basically, women are going to go after what they feel is the next priority for them. It's natural for them to feel this is normal.

That's just how it is.

And I'd like to say what the 2nd poster said. A lot of them are men loool.
MyThirdAccount is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2012, 13:20   #5
K4z3Chr1s

K4z3Chr1s is on a distinguished road
Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandMan View Post
Firstly, a good many of the female characters that you see, are actually men IRL.
WRONG i know 3 girls in real life who plays conq i'm a girl to so ... for the guys who pretend to be
K4z3Chr1s is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2012, 03:18   #6
Feon

Feon is on a distinguished road
"Women are basically equal to men now all that is behind them"
http://www.mckinsey.com/Features/women_matter.aspx

What country are you from? I can ensure you even in the most equal countries the nordic states, women are not yet equal. Its on the right track, but not yet.

So please, dont just do a statement like that, and open your eyes.

Last edited by Feon; 03-10-2012 at 05:26.
Feon is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2012, 05:46   #7
MyThirdAccount
Banned

MyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond reputeMyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond reputeMyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond reputeMyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond reputeMyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond reputeMyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond reputeMyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond reputeMyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond reputeMyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond reputeMyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond reputeMyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feon View Post
"Women are basically equal to men now all that is behind them."
http://www.mckinsey.com/Features/women_matter.aspx

What country are you from? I can ensure you even in the most equal countries the nordic states, women are not yet equal. Its on the right track, but not yet.

So please, dont just do a statement like that, and open your eyes.
Explaining everything in detail would take forever.
MyThirdAccount is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2012, 13:43   #8
jaxchristian

jaxchristian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaArtemis View Post

Thanks.
This is exactly why English speaking people need to be moved off of servers full of people from 3rd world countries. Who care's it's a game your probably talking to some overweight middle aged man playing as a woman.
jaxchristian is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2012, 14:05   #9
*Sonne*
cultivator

*Sonne* has a reputation beyond repute*Sonne* has a reputation beyond repute*Sonne* has a reputation beyond repute*Sonne* has a reputation beyond repute*Sonne* has a reputation beyond repute*Sonne* has a reputation beyond repute*Sonne* has a reputation beyond repute*Sonne* has a reputation beyond repute*Sonne* has a reputation beyond repute*Sonne* has a reputation beyond repute*Sonne* has a reputation beyond repute
i think actually white men are the minority in the us these days.
i personally think each individual earn respect on their own actions. things you say and things you do make you who you are ad in turn how other people perceive you. so she has a point. just a little "old fashioned viewpoint" maybe.
*Sonne* is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2012, 16:47   #10
Mayflower
Mine NPC

Mayflower is a glorious beacon of lightMayflower is a glorious beacon of lightMayflower is a glorious beacon of lightMayflower is a glorious beacon of lightMayflower is a glorious beacon of light
Smile

Diane, when a family member saw me playing CO for the first time, she asked: "How can you protect yourself from wearing so little?"

I was stunned and speechless for 30 seconds, and then tried to control myself from laughing and explained it's garment (elegance) - played around with it and showed it to her. Just like you, she couldn't quite find it acceptable.

If you were to ask me over a game, I'd probably find it offensive that you are judging and making your problem mine.

Of course you can always make the choice of changing option to display the actual armor instead of garment, but it takes the fun out of it in my opinion.

In western culture women are allowed to feel sexy and dress whatever she feels good in wearing. I used to be extremely conservative in clothing until visiting other countries where it's so hot that people rarely had anything on, not judging themselves and just being comfortable. At that moment I realized that I only have very limited years to wear things that make me feel sexy in good way, comfortable and I need to stop the unnecessary thinking.

You can't stop guys (or anyone) from feeling whatever they want to feel and most importantly is what you want to feel about yourself and liking the way you look.

After all it's a game, some people want to live in their fantasy and let them be.

***22825;***28079;***28023;***35282;***26377;***31406;***26178;***65292; ***21807;***26377;***30456;***24605;***28961;***30433;***34389;

Golden Apple - Crusaders
Meiko

Retired - PC Blizzard/Sunshine Server - Supreme^Knights ~~Knights Forever~~

Maypop Water -> Archer -> Archer Leveling Level 111
Maypole Water -> Warrior -> Trojan Leveling Level 101
Mayflower is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: