Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2010, 09:04   #1
Epinephrine
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,309
Epinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond repute
To all people involved in some education system

Could you describe what the average pupils/students are like?
Preferably their motivation, interests and 'average marks'.

I'll start: In my region there are only a few people out there who really go for good grades because they have to have at least 80%+ average to study medicine, the rest of the studies don't really need a specific average grade to enter so just about everyone is like: "Meh, a 60% score is fair enough."

Most of them waste their time doing sucky jobs with which they earn about 20% of what an adult would earn in the same amount of time (read: wasting time), which sucks in my opinion.

How are finances involved in your educational systems?
In this country everyone under the age of 30 is allowed to receive a scholarship regardless of what they're studying (In my opinion, this should be changed a bit, make people who get better grades receive more scholarship etc).

Serious thread is serious, education is important, even for all the trolls among you.
Epinephrine is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2010, 09:10   #2
Farau
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Narnia!!
Posts: 4,288
Farau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond repute
Wtf are you talking about? ._.
Farau is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2010, 09:17   #3
Epinephrine
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,309
Epinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond repute
Education, did you receive it?
How did you look at the education you received, how did your friends perceive their education?
Epinephrine is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2010, 09:38   #4
Epinephrine
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,309
Epinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond repute
I'm doing an assignment and I need as much points of view as possible on this subject
Epinephrine is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2010, 09:55   #5
Jadagrail
Banned
 
Jadagrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 7,160
Jadagrail has a reputation beyond reputeJadagrail has a reputation beyond reputeJadagrail has a reputation beyond reputeJadagrail has a reputation beyond reputeJadagrail has a reputation beyond reputeJadagrail has a reputation beyond reputeJadagrail has a reputation beyond reputeJadagrail has a reputation beyond reputeJadagrail has a reputation beyond reputeJadagrail has a reputation beyond reputeJadagrail has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Jadagrail
Most of the people in any classes I've been in generally failed miserably or just barely passed, with the exception of a handful who would would be in the 70-80% range, and then a few who would be in the high 90%'s because they put in extra effort or had eidetic memory, etc.

Generally speaking, everyone who wasn't in the high 90% area didn't care much, or put in the minimum effort they felt necessary to pass. There were a few who barely passed who were putting a lot of effort in, but simply struggled with the subject at hand, and there was always that one person in the 90%+ who seemed to never have to study, hence the eidetic memory comment.

In regards to what you said about their wasting time at "sucky jobs," work isn't always just about money. Going to school, working, partying, picking up hobbies, traveling the world, etc. are all part of an arduous process aimed towards "finding" oneself. They might work at those sucky jobs because at some point they wanted the experience, or because they felt it might lead them to become an astronaut, or because that girl happened to be cute.

Scholarships in America can depend on various factors. Grades come into play, but there are scholarships for damned near everything, since anyone can "grant" scholarships. (It's their money.)

Also, personally I lack(ed) motivation in school. Everything becomes boring to me. I have more interest in documentary channels and wikipedia than I do in a middle-aged man with unwashed hair droning on about the perspective of the universe from a super massive entity such as a black hole.

Actually, I'd probably find that interesting.
Jadagrail is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2010, 10:02   #6
Farau
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Narnia!!
Posts: 4,288
Farau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond repute
Basically, im still in school =D and well I never tried my best, my average grades are mostly B's and a few A's, my teachers are ****tards and I like to sleep in class, pro. My friends are all douches.
Farau is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2010, 10:24   #7
bahana
Spamomod
 
bahana's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 8,190
bahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond repute
high school was separated into two different groups (well three really but it would be harder to explain)

One was the people who wanted to get into college and they had 80% or higher on all of their grades.
and then there was the people who just wanted their high school diploma and they had a 70% or less I would say.

College is a whole another level we are paying to go to it and no one is there to fail but the classes are a lot harder.
not sure if i did what you were asking for but here you go.
__________________
Bahana!

To see with eyes unclouded by hate.

I'm a guy


Quote:
Forgive my rudeness. I cannot abide useless people.
bahana is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2010, 12:36   #8
Epinephrine
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,309
Epinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond reputeEpinephrine has a reputation beyond repute
This sucks.

Going to university costs about ***8364;600 a month, if I live with my parents...
Extremely demotivating.
Epinephrine is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2010, 12:57   #9
bahana
Spamomod
 
bahana's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 8,190
bahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epinephrine View Post
This sucks.

Going to university costs about 600 a month, if I live with my parents...
Extremely demotivating.
mine cost about 900$ a month and my rent is about 350$ a month but it is worth it in the end
__________________
Bahana!

To see with eyes unclouded by hate.

I'm a guy


Quote:
Forgive my rudeness. I cannot abide useless people.
bahana is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2010, 13:51   #10
XX Daywalker XX
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,940
XX Daywalker XX has a reputation beyond reputeXX Daywalker XX has a reputation beyond reputeXX Daywalker XX has a reputation beyond reputeXX Daywalker XX has a reputation beyond reputeXX Daywalker XX has a reputation beyond reputeXX Daywalker XX has a reputation beyond reputeXX Daywalker XX has a reputation beyond reputeXX Daywalker XX has a reputation beyond reputeXX Daywalker XX has a reputation beyond reputeXX Daywalker XX has a reputation beyond reputeXX Daywalker XX has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epinephrine View Post
Could you describe what the average pupils/students are like?
Preferably their motivation, interests and 'average marks'.

I'll start: In my region there are only a few people out there who really go for good grades because they have to have at least 80%+ average to study medicine, the rest of the studies don't really need a specific average grade to enter so just about everyone is like: "Meh, a 60% score is fair enough."

Most of them waste their time doing sucky jobs with which they earn about 20% of what an adult would earn in the same amount of time (read: wasting time), which sucks in my opinion.

How are finances involved in your educational systems?
In this country everyone under the age of 30 is allowed to receive a scholarship regardless of what they're studying (In my opinion, this should be changed a bit, make people who get better grades receive more scholarship etc).

Serious thread is serious, education is important, even for all the trolls among you.
If I knew what I know now back then I would of been a pimp. Not joking.
XX Daywalker XX is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2010, 13:52   #11
XX Daywalker XX
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,940
XX Daywalker XX has a reputation beyond reputeXX Daywalker XX has a reputation beyond reputeXX Daywalker XX has a reputation beyond reputeXX Daywalker XX has a reputation beyond reputeXX Daywalker XX has a reputation beyond reputeXX Daywalker XX has a reputation beyond reputeXX Daywalker XX has a reputation beyond reputeXX Daywalker XX has a reputation beyond reputeXX Daywalker XX has a reputation beyond reputeXX Daywalker XX has a reputation beyond reputeXX Daywalker XX has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahana View Post
mine cost about 900$ a month and my rent is about 350$ a month but it is worth it in the end
Yea you got that right it will be felt in the end and it will be worth it for you.
XX Daywalker XX is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2010, 14:06   #12
Wester V.3
Registered User
 
Wester V.3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Here, there, everywhere.
Posts: 6,710
Wester V.3 has a reputation beyond reputeWester V.3 has a reputation beyond reputeWester V.3 has a reputation beyond reputeWester V.3 has a reputation beyond reputeWester V.3 has a reputation beyond reputeWester V.3 has a reputation beyond reputeWester V.3 has a reputation beyond reputeWester V.3 has a reputation beyond reputeWester V.3 has a reputation beyond reputeWester V.3 has a reputation beyond reputeWester V.3 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Wester V.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadagrail View Post
Most of the people in any classes I've been in generally failed miserably or just barely passed, with the exception of a handful who would would be in the 70-80% range, and then a few who would be in the high 90%'s because they put in extra effort or had eidetic memory, etc.

Generally speaking, everyone who wasn't in the high 90% area didn't care much, or put in the minimum effort they felt necessary to pass. There were a few who barely passed who were putting a lot of effort in, but simply struggled with the subject at hand, and there was always that one person in the 90%+ who seemed to never have to study, hence the eidetic memory comment.

In regards to what you said about their wasting time at "sucky jobs," work isn't always just about money. Going to school, working, partying, picking up hobbies, traveling the world, etc. are all part of an arduous process aimed towards "finding" oneself. They might work at those sucky jobs because at some point they wanted the experience, or because they felt it might lead them to become an astronaut, or because that girl happened to be cute.

Scholarships in America can depend on various factors. Grades come into play, but there are scholarships for damned near everything, since anyone can "grant" scholarships. (It's their money.)

Also, personally I lack(ed) motivation in school. Everything becomes boring to me. I have more interest in documentary channels and wikipedia than I do in a middle-aged man with unwashed hair droning on about the perspective of the universe from a super massive entity such as a black hole.

Actually, I'd probably find that interesting.
Seconded besides the last part about finding all that interesting.

I never cared much for school, even fully knowing that school would impact my entire life.

No motivation, and I was always the one that could memorize everything, I was just never in school to do so.
Wester V.3 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2010, 15:32   #13
~Nia~
<3 Justin
 
~Nia~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: scotland/north carolina
Posts: 582
~Nia~ has a reputation beyond repute~Nia~ has a reputation beyond repute~Nia~ has a reputation beyond repute~Nia~ has a reputation beyond repute~Nia~ has a reputation beyond repute~Nia~ has a reputation beyond repute~Nia~ has a reputation beyond repute~Nia~ has a reputation beyond repute~Nia~ has a reputation beyond repute~Nia~ has a reputation beyond repute~Nia~ has a reputation beyond repute
as i've said before, school in scotland is completely different, not only is the grading system and entry requirements for college/university completely different but students that stay at high school after they are 16 are paid to stay for the last 2 years of school, but you need to keep good attendance and good grades to get the money so it makes students want to go to school and get good grades.

for university/college they either take previous exam and overall subject grades and decide whether you would be suitable or not which you get a unconditional entry offer which means it doesn't matter how good you do in your last years exams, or they give you a conditional offer stating that you need to get certain grades in specific subjects to get a place on the course.

Oh and English at Higher(Scotland) AS level (England) is almost always a requirement set by the university's.
__________________
<333 Justin
~Nia~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2010, 15:45   #14
Farau
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Narnia!!
Posts: 4,288
Farau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Nia~ View Post
as i've said before, school in scotland is completely different, not only is the grading system and entry requirements for college/university completely different but students that stay at high school after they are 16 are paid to stay for the last 2 years of school, but you need to keep good attendance and good grades to get the money so it makes students want to go to school and get good grades.
You get EMA weekly o.o up to 30 pounds right? Its all over UK I guess o.0
Farau is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2010, 16:05   #15
Darkster
AFC AJAX
 
Darkster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: West of Europe
Posts: 17,833
Darkster has a reputation beyond reputeDarkster has a reputation beyond reputeDarkster has a reputation beyond reputeDarkster has a reputation beyond reputeDarkster has a reputation beyond reputeDarkster has a reputation beyond reputeDarkster has a reputation beyond reputeDarkster has a reputation beyond reputeDarkster has a reputation beyond reputeDarkster has a reputation beyond reputeDarkster has a reputation beyond repute
What kind of education u follow Epi? mbo, hbo, uni (bachelor/master)?
Darkster is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:35.