Old 03-07-2014, 12:42   #1
Weatherwax
BashShell

Weatherwax has a reputation beyond reputeWeatherwax has a reputation beyond reputeWeatherwax has a reputation beyond reputeWeatherwax has a reputation beyond reputeWeatherwax has a reputation beyond reputeWeatherwax has a reputation beyond reputeWeatherwax has a reputation beyond reputeWeatherwax has a reputation beyond reputeWeatherwax has a reputation beyond reputeWeatherwax has a reputation beyond reputeWeatherwax has a reputation beyond repute
Munchausen's syndrome?

I know someone (supposed to be a friend) who lays claim to every medical problem that anyone else he knows suffers from, and he always has it worse. No kidding, if one of us says (for example) "I need an operation because my spine is crumbling and a disc has to be replaced" his response is normally "I have that" followed by a story of how his is worse.

I'm not sure whether this is actual Munchausen's syndrome. That normally involves medical staff and according to what he's said he can't afford medical treatment. It also doesn't just involve him.

After my mother died of cancer, he announced that his brother had cancer and couldn't afford treatment. Last time I spoke to his brother (a year or 2 later) he said he was fine. Several years on, his brother still seems to be fine and all questions about the alleged cancer have only had evasive answers.

Having him use my mother's death and the health issues the rest of us have in this way makes me angry, but I guess he's probably suffering from a mental illness and needs help. Does anyone know the proper way to deal with someone with this kind of mental illness?

Some of my 2nd rb Dream/Crystal characters:
_Twoflower_: Pure arch
Jeanie1: Nin-war-monk
Rat_trap: Wat-war-monk
*Gregorian* & TwoFlower: Pure monks
Draupadi: Nin-war-fire
Taoflower: Pure wat
The-Last-Resort : Tro-war-arch

Old 03-07-2014, 12:51   #2
Deathclaw
Soon™

Deathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe u should talk to a shrink.
Let the hate flow through you.
Computer Scientist
Deathclaw is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2014, 14:53   #3
I Rule
You Suck

I Rule has a reputation beyond reputeI Rule has a reputation beyond reputeI Rule has a reputation beyond reputeI Rule has a reputation beyond reputeI Rule has a reputation beyond reputeI Rule has a reputation beyond reputeI Rule has a reputation beyond reputeI Rule has a reputation beyond reputeI Rule has a reputation beyond reputeI Rule has a reputation beyond reputeI Rule has a reputation beyond repute
That is really annoying, I know people who enjoy being sick or having hard times just to draw attention, but never thought of some one who just makes **** up this bad.

I guess you should talk to his brother about such thing.

Thanks alot Apple06~ for the avy
I Rule is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2014, 15:50   #4
Weatherwax
BashShell

Weatherwax has a reputation beyond reputeWeatherwax has a reputation beyond reputeWeatherwax has a reputation beyond reputeWeatherwax has a reputation beyond reputeWeatherwax has a reputation beyond reputeWeatherwax has a reputation beyond reputeWeatherwax has a reputation beyond reputeWeatherwax has a reputation beyond reputeWeatherwax has a reputation beyond reputeWeatherwax has a reputation beyond reputeWeatherwax has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathclaw View Post
Maybe u should talk to a shrink.
I'd hate to occupy a shrink's time, when I don't need one and there are clearly so many people who do. Besides which, over here people only see shrinks when *they* need to - not because someone else needs to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rule View Post
That is really annoying, I know people who enjoy being sick or having hard times just to draw attention, but never thought of some one who just makes **** up this bad.

I guess you should talk to his brother about such thing.
Thanks for the sensible advice. Talking to his brother about it isn't really an option, though, as the only way to contact him these days is through the friend.

The only way I can think of (so far) to handle it is to ignore his claims, thus removing the "reward" for his behaviour. But that might just make it worse, and I don't want to be responsible for making someone's mental illness worse - assuming that it really is a mental illness making him behave this way. That's why I'm asking for advice, hoping that some of the community have experience of dealing with someone like this.

Old 03-07-2014, 16:03   #5
?UnKnowN?
¿¿¿

?UnKnowN? has a reputation beyond repute?UnKnowN? has a reputation beyond repute?UnKnowN? has a reputation beyond repute?UnKnowN? has a reputation beyond repute?UnKnowN? has a reputation beyond repute?UnKnowN? has a reputation beyond repute?UnKnowN? has a reputation beyond repute?UnKnowN? has a reputation beyond repute?UnKnowN? has a reputation beyond repute?UnKnowN? has a reputation beyond repute?UnKnowN? has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like a classic one upper. My favorite kind of people to **** with. What you do is make something up but make it believable. When they take the bait you tell them you just made that up. So make up some illness and see if they one up it. When you call them out do not say you were joking because they will also claim they were as well.

I hate that the world puts some illness to these people. I call them ******* liars plain and simple. I wouldn't bother being their friend if I was you.
Old 03-07-2014, 18:02   #6
Metalocalypse
Atheist

Metalocalypse has a reputation beyond reputeMetalocalypse has a reputation beyond reputeMetalocalypse has a reputation beyond reputeMetalocalypse has a reputation beyond reputeMetalocalypse has a reputation beyond reputeMetalocalypse has a reputation beyond reputeMetalocalypse has a reputation beyond reputeMetalocalypse has a reputation beyond reputeMetalocalypse has a reputation beyond reputeMetalocalypse has a reputation beyond reputeMetalocalypse has a reputation beyond repute
Make him believe that he actually has one of these things wrong with him, really scare him about it too, make him believe he will die a painful death and that there is nothing he can do about it. He wont lie about it again after that. Probably.

Milkshakes - 133 Trojan - Mausoleum/Greatwall
Metalocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2014, 18:53   #7
?UnKnowN?
¿¿¿

?UnKnowN? has a reputation beyond repute?UnKnowN? has a reputation beyond repute?UnKnowN? has a reputation beyond repute?UnKnowN? has a reputation beyond repute?UnKnowN? has a reputation beyond repute?UnKnowN? has a reputation beyond repute?UnKnowN? has a reputation beyond repute?UnKnowN? has a reputation beyond repute?UnKnowN? has a reputation beyond repute?UnKnowN? has a reputation beyond repute?UnKnowN? has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalocalypse View Post
Make him believe that he actually has one of these things wrong with him, really scare him about it too, make him believe he will die a painful death and that there is nothing he can do about it. He wont lie about it again after that. Probably.
Damn one upper. But seriously I like that idea more. Might be a bit trickier to do. Although people like that are easily fooled. Would be funny as hell to see.
Old 03-07-2014, 19:06   #8
Cowboy86

Cowboy86 has a reputation beyond reputeCowboy86 has a reputation beyond reputeCowboy86 has a reputation beyond reputeCowboy86 has a reputation beyond reputeCowboy86 has a reputation beyond reputeCowboy86 has a reputation beyond reputeCowboy86 has a reputation beyond reputeCowboy86 has a reputation beyond reputeCowboy86 has a reputation beyond reputeCowboy86 has a reputation beyond reputeCowboy86 has a reputation beyond repute
Always good to get opinions on these types of things especially since their ur best or so close friend
Usually I would just say ignore him forever

But if it is this bad then confront him about it
Say prove it! Or something logical that expresses ur anger towards him
Though I would never call these illnesses even though yes the
Person had intentional problems most of the people who do it
,do it out of complete stupidity for sympathy or To prove that they've been through hell
And bragging about it' if u do believe that that is the case and yes just bragging about it go into full detail mode
Ex-When my step dad had his back surgery the docs wanted to fuse two bone marrows and move l4 and l5 they told him what was going to happen at least 5 times

If he's smart enough to answer the full surgery without flaw idk what else to do, tell him to f off and stop making ridiculous claims.
Edit-Ppl who do this tend to watch a lot of movies, this was stated in Google when I searched the "illness"
Old 03-07-2014, 19:21   #9
Cowboy86

Cowboy86 has a reputation beyond reputeCowboy86 has a reputation beyond reputeCowboy86 has a reputation beyond reputeCowboy86 has a reputation beyond reputeCowboy86 has a reputation beyond reputeCowboy86 has a reputation beyond reputeCowboy86 has a reputation beyond reputeCowboy86 has a reputation beyond reputeCowboy86 has a reputation beyond reputeCowboy86 has a reputation beyond reputeCowboy86 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ?UnKnowN? View Post
Damn one upper. But seriously I like that idea more. Might be a bit trickier to do. Although people like that are easily fooled. Would be funny as hell to see.
Lol
What do you personally believe that quote in ur SIG means
I'm curious if ur a troll who was incapable of understanding what it really means
Because really there hasn't been many different discussions on the topic and no one can really give the intended answer
Because ppl keep trolling about it

Someone of higher authority? Or what?

Last edited by Cowboy86; 03-07-2014 at 19:25.
Cowboy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2014, 19:40   #10
?UnKnowN?
¿¿¿

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy86 View Post
Always good to get opinions on these types of things especially since their ur best or so close friend
Usually I would just say ignore him forever

But if it is this bad then confront him about it
Say prove it! Or something logical that expresses ur anger towards him
Though I would never call these illnesses even though yes the
Person had intentional problems most of the people who do it
,do it out of complete stupidity for sympathy or To prove that they've been through hell
And bragging about it' if u do believe that that is the case and yes just bragging about it go into full detail mode
Ex-When my step dad had his back surgery the docs wanted to fuse two bone marrows and move l4 and l5 they told him what was going to happen at least 5 times

If he's smart enough to answer the full surgery without flaw idk what else to do, tell him to f off and stop making ridiculous claims.
Edit-Ppl who do this tend to watch a lot of movies, this was stated in Google when I searched the "illness"
I couldn't see myself ever having a friendship with somebody who has always made those kinds of claims. Its like me telling a friend of mine "I got cancer" and their reply is "oh that's nothing i know this guy who has cancer and aids". Think about it. I know people like that and no I'm not their friends. Do I **** with them yes. Do I call out their lies yes. You just made the mistake of being friends with one of them. What do you see in a person like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy86 View Post
Lol
What do you personally believe that quote in ur SIG means
I'm curious if ur a troll who was incapable of understanding what it really means
Because really there hasn't been many different discussions on the topic and no one can really give the intended answer
Because ppl keep trolling about it

Someone of higher authority? Or what?
You'd have to know who said it but sense you know how to use google I'm sure you already looked into it.

It means what it means I have no personal belief about it's meaning.
Old 03-07-2014, 23:18   #11
I Rule
You Suck

I Rule has a reputation beyond reputeI Rule has a reputation beyond reputeI Rule has a reputation beyond reputeI Rule has a reputation beyond reputeI Rule has a reputation beyond reputeI Rule has a reputation beyond reputeI Rule has a reputation beyond reputeI Rule has a reputation beyond reputeI Rule has a reputation beyond reputeI Rule has a reputation beyond reputeI Rule has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherwax View Post
Thanks for the sensible advice. Talking to his brother about it isn't really an option, though, as the only way to contact him these days is through the friend.

The only way I can think of (so far) to handle it is to ignore his claims, thus removing the "reward" for his behaviour. But that might just make it worse, and I don't want to be responsible for making someone's mental illness worse - assuming that it really is a mental illness making him behave this way. That's why I'm asking for advice, hoping that some of the community have experience of dealing with someone like this.
Well, as long as he's not hurting himself or anyone he knows who he claims to have a certain disease just to make things look more real, I think it's more of a spoiled kid thing than a mental illness.
Ignoring it would be the best, but you could still make him think that you believe in what he says and follow onto it, then just wait until you can strike him with the truth, he'd gradually stop it and think thousands of times before making up ****, at least when he's with you.

Thanks alot Apple06~ for the avy
I Rule is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2014, 00:54   #12
Weatherwax
BashShell

Thank you for all the interesting comments & ideas.

He wasn't always like this, it's developed over the years. Maybe the people who say he's an attention-seeking ***** are right. I don't know any more. He's changed so much, but sometimes it's hard to stop thinking of him as the really good friend he used to be.

One thing I really *don't* want to do is give him any more details of serious health issues that he can use. I'm pretty sure he's doing the same with other people in other games, possibly with his family too. His alleged diabetes seems to have started around the time his mother became diabetic and it makes me cringe to think of him telling her that his diabetes is worse than hers.

I did ask how his brother was, then commented about how unusually well his brother is doing with cancer and no treatment. He muttered something like "I don't know" and changed the subject very firmly.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:37   #13
Deathclaw
Soon™

Deathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherwax View Post
I'd hate to occupy a shrink's time, when I don't need one and there are clearly so many people who do. Besides which, over here people only see shrinks when *they* need to - not because someone else needs to.
Do you realize that only a shrink could answer those questions properly?
Let the hate flow through you.
Computer Scientist
Deathclaw is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2014, 04:17   #14
~Ahmed~

~Ahmed~ has a reputation beyond repute~Ahmed~ has a reputation beyond repute~Ahmed~ has a reputation beyond repute~Ahmed~ has a reputation beyond repute~Ahmed~ has a reputation beyond repute~Ahmed~ has a reputation beyond repute~Ahmed~ has a reputation beyond repute~Ahmed~ has a reputation beyond repute~Ahmed~ has a reputation beyond repute~Ahmed~ has a reputation beyond repute~Ahmed~ has a reputation beyond repute
Seeking attention, or just trying to tell you that everyone got problems? That's unlikely though, he seems to be doing it quite often.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:09   #15
Weatherwax
BashShell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathclaw View Post
Do you realize that only a shrink could answer those questions properly?
In order to answer the questions properly the shrink would need to talk to him, though, not me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: