Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 15:21   #2086
DETONATOAREA
Female

DETONATOAREA has a reputation beyond reputeDETONATOAREA has a reputation beyond reputeDETONATOAREA has a reputation beyond reputeDETONATOAREA has a reputation beyond reputeDETONATOAREA has a reputation beyond reputeDETONATOAREA has a reputation beyond reputeDETONATOAREA has a reputation beyond reputeDETONATOAREA has a reputation beyond reputeDETONATOAREA has a reputation beyond reputeDETONATOAREA has a reputation beyond reputeDETONATOAREA has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaCoke View Post
Maya is frustrating to use. We're modeling characters in Maya right now and uuuuuugh. Ugh partially because of the problem and uuuuuuuuuugh because of the teacher.
The only thing I find frustrating is arranging the topology. I've already made half a face, but the shape of the head isn't properly arranged.
Seems like I'm better at making simple stuff or creatures that do not rely on a certain shape.
But I will eventually need to learn how to model human characters since I will need them for the movie I plan on making with the help of some friends.
You could also check Simply Maya forums, they answer pretty much all your questions or help you solve problems.
Sapphire/Emerald: Silver-Hawk arch-war-arch 130-130-132 (INACTIVE)
Arkoto tro-war-nin 130-130-128 (INACTIVE)
Thanks to Loviatar for the dragon avatar.
My novel on deviant art:
Alien Ride
DETONATOAREA is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2013, 13:51   #2087
DETONATOAREA
Female

DETONATOAREA has a reputation beyond reputeDETONATOAREA has a reputation beyond reputeDETONATOAREA has a reputation beyond reputeDETONATOAREA has a reputation beyond reputeDETONATOAREA has a reputation beyond reputeDETONATOAREA has a reputation beyond reputeDETONATOAREA has a reputation beyond reputeDETONATOAREA has a reputation beyond reputeDETONATOAREA has a reputation beyond reputeDETONATOAREA has a reputation beyond reputeDETONATOAREA has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaCoke View Post
I have been learning from the internet already because our teacher is just way out there. I actually had a ot of trouble with UV texture mapping because the way he was using it is not industry standard. Once I found vids on it though, it was simple enough. A friend of mine finished her project at home and brought it to school and her model blew up. Literally, it was in tiny fragmented pieces.

I've been existing on Maya based forums and youtube video's though.
I don't usually use much texturing, though I did need it for the Solar System project but that was simple texturing.
Not so good with Earth but at least I have the fluffy clouds. Still need to work on the atmosphere.

Best were the other planets, especially gas giants:

I tend to just stick to shaders instead of textures though for some models.
http://detonatress.deviantart.com/gallery/30800470
I will have to re-do the Gazelle and the Saucer.
My novel on deviant art:
Alien Ride

Last edited by DETONATOAREA; 04-01-2013 at 13:54.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:21   #2088
Kuroooo~

Kuroooo~ has a reputation beyond reputeKuroooo~ has a reputation beyond reputeKuroooo~ has a reputation beyond reputeKuroooo~ has a reputation beyond reputeKuroooo~ has a reputation beyond reputeKuroooo~ has a reputation beyond reputeKuroooo~ has a reputation beyond reputeKuroooo~ has a reputation beyond reputeKuroooo~ has a reputation beyond reputeKuroooo~ has a reputation beyond reputeKuroooo~ has a reputation beyond repute
The planets look awesome!

Vanilla I dont have experience with Maya but one of the reasons why i switched from 3dsmax to Blender was because character creation and facial animation is so much better in Blender. If Maya is anything like 3dsmax then i understand your frustration.

The only thing I miss from 3dsmax is the uvw map editor.. And maybe the biped skeleton.

www.3dkiwi.webs.com/images/Untitled2.gif
Kuroooo~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2013, 03:59   #2089
Kuroooo~

Kuroooo~ has a reputation beyond reputeKuroooo~ has a reputation beyond reputeKuroooo~ has a reputation beyond reputeKuroooo~ has a reputation beyond reputeKuroooo~ has a reputation beyond reputeKuroooo~ has a reputation beyond reputeKuroooo~ has a reputation beyond reputeKuroooo~ has a reputation beyond reputeKuroooo~ has a reputation beyond reputeKuroooo~ has a reputation beyond reputeKuroooo~ has a reputation beyond repute
If i remember right DETO you use box modeling to create characters? Have you ever tried the edge extrusion method where you start with a single face and extrude its edges? I personally prefer the latter method because its like sketching.

I know both methods are equal but i personally find it easier to "sketch" the outlines of what ever im doing.

like this:
http://www.secondpicture.com/tutoria...n_3ds_max.html

Old 04-02-2013, 05:16   #2090
DETONATOAREA
Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroooo~ View Post
If i remember right DETO you use box modeling to create characters? Have you ever tried the edge extrusion method where you start with a single face and extrude its edges? I personally prefer the latter method because its like sketching.

I know both methods are equal but i personally find it easier to "sketch" the outlines of what ever im doing.

like this:
http://www.secondpicture.com/tutoria...n_3ds_max.html
I've encountered plenty of edge extrusion problems, but I now use a mix of those.
I start with a box, but then I either extrude the edges, or I use the "Insert edge loop" tool.
Here is a pic of what the current human character looks like. Note I did not arrange the topology yet, so it doesn't have the correct shape yet, and I'm thinking of re-modeling the nose and mouth using either edge extrude, or just inserting edge loops if it's giving me trouble with extrusions.

If I were to compare Maya with 3ds max, they're very different programs, but the same principles apply. It's faster than 3ds max, it allows easy navigation (holding the ALT key down + rightMB to zoom view, + wheel button to pan camera, + leftMB to rotate image)
It has some interesting features such as the Interactive split tool which allows you to draw your lines if something needs modification.
It has the Insert Edge Loop tool (only works if you're working with quads): It inserts a new edge and helps you shape your mesh.
Pushing the 3 key will show how the object will look after smoothing. Or, you could just render it like that without the smoothing. Saves render time.
The reflection and refraction Maya uses doesn't use up as much as 3ds Max's reflect/refract does.
My novel on deviant art:
Alien Ride
Old 04-03-2013, 04:35   #2091
Kuroooo~

Here is a render from yesterday. the model still needs alot of work... Her eyes turned out better than i had hoped.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:10   #2092
DETONATOAREA
Female

Yup, looks good!

Wish I could get my energy back and continue my 2D drawing, but darn it, this weather is making me sleepy. It's not raining but I think it will soon.
My novel on deviant art:
Alien Ride
Old 04-06-2013, 09:27   #2093
DETONATOAREA
Female

Vector drawing. Easy and fun.

Though the hair does eat a lot of resources.

Found a way to conserve resources: moving the objects into Corel Paint and then back in as a single object.

My novel on deviant art:
Alien Ride

Last edited by DETONATOAREA; 04-07-2013 at 05:38.
Old 04-08-2013, 00:58   #2094
Kuroooo~

How do you make the hair? strand by strand? every one of them is a vector? It looks pretty good

Old 04-08-2013, 02:54   #2095
DETONATOAREA
Female

Quote:
How do you make the hair? strand by strand? every one of them is a vector? It looks pretty good
Yeah, used to be, though since I've pasted the whole image into Corel PP, they no longer are vectors, the whole image turned into a png.
I had so many hair vectors that the memory ran out and it crashed, making me lose everything in the file. Lucky I had backup.

Though due to this drawing, I got into an argument with my mother, and ended up quitting my job too.
My mother accused me of playing all day (even though I only work like 2 hours max on this drawing whenever I feel like it, and I haven't played a computer game in MONTHS!), and most of my day was spent actually on the online job I had.
She wanted me to vacuum clean the house while she was not home, without even asking me to do it, because I HAD A SCHEDULE, I needed to know what was to be scheduled, I couldn't do anything at any time I wanted. I also wash the huge stack of dishes daily but that doesn't count to her...

I've earned money out of that job I've quit, but not like my parents remember who saved New Year's Eve. So I chose to quit and show my mom what happens when I actually play and do nothing. No more money.
I lose nothing, because I never got to keep that money in the first place, it all went on food, food and again food because my dad sucks with economy and my mom can't quit cigarettes.
My novel on deviant art:
Alien Ride

Last edited by DETONATOAREA; 04-08-2013 at 03:14.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:30   #2096
Kuroooo~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETONATOAREA View Post
Yeah, used to be, though since I've pasted the whole image into Corel PP, they no longer are vectors, the whole image turned into a png.
I had so many hair vectors that the memory ran out and it crashed, making me lose everything in the file. Lucky I had backup.

Though due to this drawing, I got into an argument with my mother, and ended up quitting my job too.
My mother accused me of playing all day (even though I only work like 2 hours max on this drawing whenever I feel like it, and I haven't played a computer game in MONTHS!), and most of my day was spent actually on the online job I had.
She wanted me to vacuum clean the house while she was not home, without even asking me to do it, because I HAD A SCHEDULE, I needed to know what was to be scheduled, I couldn't do anything at any time I wanted. I also wash the huge stack of dishes daily but that doesn't count to her...

I've earned money out of that job I've quit, but not like my parents remember who saved New Year's Eve. So I chose to quit and show my mom what happens when I actually play and do nothing. No more money.
I lose nothing, because I never got to keep that money in the first place, it all went on food, food and again food because my dad sucks with economy and my mom can't quit cigarettes.
Damn that must suck.. Why dont you move into your own apartment? Have you tried explaining the job to your mom and that you must use computer?

My mom used to yell at me because I played too much Conquer.. She made me realize that I was wasting my time on a stupid game.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:11   #2097
DETONATOAREA
Female

Quote:
Damn that must suck.. Why dont you move into your own apartment? Have you tried explaining the job to your mom and that you must use computer?

My mom used to yell at me because I played too much Conquer.. She made me realize that I was wasting my time on a stupid game.
I can't afford to pay a rent...
Even if I had a job in Romania, I'd need more than one job to pay rent for a 2 room apartment.
Rent here is $250 monthly. A salary for a job that's on the low end is either $200 or $170 or so monthly. (this because I do not have a college, can't even afford it due to all money going in food, because freaking court case with this stupid house ate most of dad's money, and all mom gains goes on her cigs).
So, as you can see, rent is not an option for pretty much anyone here, unless you are a programmer, politician or football player, or manele singer (which I'd rather die of hunger than sing that).
So, if you had to live here, you'd need two low end jobs, or money from somewhere to go to college and get a job that pays more, or know someone that knows someone who can get you into a good business, otherwise you'd end up spending all you gain on rent, and no food, no bill + tax money, forget about hobbies in that case.

Yes, I did explain to my mother, but the only response was, "You are playing. Shut up or I will hit you with the vacuum cleaner pipe!"

At least you were actually playing something and your mother had a point. But what did I do? I haven't played anything in ages, all I did was draw for up to 2 hours. I've quit CO back in 2010.
My novel on deviant art:
Alien Ride

Last edited by DETONATOAREA; 04-08-2013 at 06:13.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:35   #2098
Kuroooo~

I think we scared everyone off.. Where did Vanilla and ju go

Old 04-11-2013, 04:05   #2099
DETONATOAREA
Female

Quote:
I think we scared everyone off.. Where did Vanilla and ju go
That tends to happen when I'm on a rant. But the issue got solved.

Indeed, I'd like to see more of Vanilla's work.
My novel on deviant art:
Alien Ride
Old 04-11-2013, 06:02   #2100
Kuroooo~

What are you working on? More vector art?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: