Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-08-2015, 00:59   #1
sundancerx

sundancerx has a reputation beyond reputesundancerx has a reputation beyond reputesundancerx has a reputation beyond reputesundancerx has a reputation beyond reputesundancerx has a reputation beyond reputesundancerx has a reputation beyond reputesundancerx has a reputation beyond reputesundancerx has a reputation beyond reputesundancerx has a reputation beyond reputesundancerx has a reputation beyond reputesundancerx has a reputation beyond repute
ini edits

im no programmer so i dunno, but is it possible to include the ini files inside co.exe or just compile them to a different program/file.

if peope hack these new files, then co has legit case to jail them coz of using 3rd party program to alter their files.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:33   #2
Kachun

Kachun is on a distinguished road
They don't need to do that, but they should harden the code and/or cryptographically very the ini file.

Modified files should be detected and blocked.

The binary should use encryption and memory hardening to block exploits.
Kachun is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2015, 05:45   #3
§mugglaz
Banned

§mugglaz has a reputation beyond repute§mugglaz has a reputation beyond repute§mugglaz has a reputation beyond repute§mugglaz has a reputation beyond repute§mugglaz has a reputation beyond repute§mugglaz has a reputation beyond repute§mugglaz has a reputation beyond repute§mugglaz has a reputation beyond repute§mugglaz has a reputation beyond repute§mugglaz has a reputation beyond repute§mugglaz has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachun View Post
They don't need to do that, but they should harden the code and/or cryptographically very the ini file.

Wow tq should hire you
§mugglaz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2015, 06:14   #4
Deathclaw
Soon™

Deathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

Let the hate flow through you.
Computer Scientist
Deathclaw is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2015, 07:01   #5
Schnifschnaf

Schnifschnaf has a reputation beyond reputeSchnifschnaf has a reputation beyond reputeSchnifschnaf has a reputation beyond reputeSchnifschnaf has a reputation beyond reputeSchnifschnaf has a reputation beyond reputeSchnifschnaf has a reputation beyond reputeSchnifschnaf has a reputation beyond reputeSchnifschnaf has a reputation beyond reputeSchnifschnaf has a reputation beyond reputeSchnifschnaf has a reputation beyond reputeSchnifschnaf has a reputation beyond repute
Ben ull botar!
Schnifschnaf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2015, 07:25   #6
sundancerx

sundancerx has a reputation beyond reputesundancerx has a reputation beyond reputesundancerx has a reputation beyond reputesundancerx has a reputation beyond reputesundancerx has a reputation beyond reputesundancerx has a reputation beyond reputesundancerx has a reputation beyond reputesundancerx has a reputation beyond reputesundancerx has a reputation beyond reputesundancerx has a reputation beyond reputesundancerx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

whatever it is ,something has to be done.

saying it;s ok to edit files is a big fail.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:19   #7
Kachun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathclaw View Post
Why?
Old 05-08-2015, 08:40   #8
Deathclaw
Soon™

Deathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Why?
You are an idiot. That's why.
Computer Scientist
Old 05-08-2015, 09:45   #9
Conondrum
Fading..

Conondrum has a reputation beyond reputeConondrum has a reputation beyond reputeConondrum has a reputation beyond reputeConondrum has a reputation beyond reputeConondrum has a reputation beyond reputeConondrum has a reputation beyond reputeConondrum has a reputation beyond reputeConondrum has a reputation beyond reputeConondrum has a reputation beyond reputeConondrum has a reputation beyond reputeConondrum has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancerx View Post
im no programmer so i dunno, but is it possible to include the ini files inside co.exe or just compile them to a different program/file.

if peope hack these new files, then co has legit case to jail them coz of using 3rd party program to alter their files.
Are you thinking all ini files?
I'm editing the flash.ini file to turn down the volume on the login-screen. I don't need an audible reminder each time I type a letter or a number in my password.
I have done so for years, each time that particular ini file is updated, I go in and set the volume to 0.
I even asked a GM back then if it was ok, got a green light to do so.
Conondrum is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2015, 10:46   #10
sundancerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conondrum View Post
Are you thinking all ini files?
I'm editing the flash.ini file to turn down the volume on the login-screen. I don't need an audible reminder each time I type a letter or a number in my password.
I have done so for years, each time that particular ini file is updated, I go in and set the volume to 0.
I even asked a GM back then if it was ok, got a green light to do so.
ones that affect the pvp of the game obv. appearance, sounds etc, dont really matter.

tq saying it's ok to edit the files is just unacceptable.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:25   #11
Kachun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathclaw View Post
You are an idiot. That's why.
these things are trivial to program..
Old 05-08-2015, 12:24   #12
Deathclaw
Soon™

Quote:
these things are trivial to program..
Cool story bro but irrelevant.

1.) Encryption is useless in case. It is used to protect your data against attacks of 3rd parties. Encryption is broken in general if someone has access to the client and/or server. One simply had to disassemble the CO client binary in this case.

2.) Some config files are "encrypted" already.

3.) How does using the OS/CPU security features help in any way to avoid that someone modifies those files?
Computer Scientist

Last edited by Deathclaw; 05-08-2015 at 12:28.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:18   #13
Kachun

I see your point, however everything CO can do to make it more difficult to hack the files and exe is a welcome bonus.

In the end its always an endless game of cat and mouse.

Obviously the server should also be much better at detecting impossible inputs/movements

things like ASLR will make it harder to do in memory hacks, but i guess binary hacks are more common?
Old 05-09-2015, 01:58   #14
Deathclaw
Soon™

Quote:
I see your point, however everything CO can do to make it more difficult to hack the files and exe is a welcome bonus.

In the end its always an endless game of cat and mouse.

Obviously the server should also be much better at detecting impossible inputs/movements

things like ASLR will make it harder to do in memory hacks, but i guess binary hacks are more common?
Well this thread is about avoiding that they edit the files in the ini folder. Using an encryption is useless.

Harder? Anyone that is capable of using a PE header editor can simply clear the ASLR and DEP flags. Those features are not designed to protect a binary against people that have access to the system. They are supposed to protect against attackers that don't have access to the system.
Computer Scientist
Old 05-10-2015, 01:54   #15
§mugglaz
Banned

§mugglaz has a reputation beyond repute§mugglaz has a reputation beyond repute§mugglaz has a reputation beyond repute§mugglaz has a reputation beyond repute§mugglaz has a reputation beyond repute§mugglaz has a reputation beyond repute§mugglaz has a reputation beyond repute§mugglaz has a reputation beyond repute§mugglaz has a reputation beyond repute§mugglaz has a reputation beyond repute§mugglaz has a reputation beyond repute
you think they gonna reject this

SlowMO
§mugglaz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: