Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-22-2007, 12:56   #1
ChaosDealer73
Heh.

ChaosDealer73 has a reputation beyond reputeChaosDealer73 has a reputation beyond reputeChaosDealer73 has a reputation beyond reputeChaosDealer73 has a reputation beyond reputeChaosDealer73 has a reputation beyond reputeChaosDealer73 has a reputation beyond reputeChaosDealer73 has a reputation beyond reputeChaosDealer73 has a reputation beyond reputeChaosDealer73 has a reputation beyond reputeChaosDealer73 has a reputation beyond reputeChaosDealer73 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Windows Vista FAQ

The Conquer Online and Windows Vista FAQ v1.0 - July 22, 2007
Disclaimer: These are all issues, problems, and possible fixes for them that myself or other players have experienced. There is no guarantee that the suggestions on how to deal with these will work. As new bugs and new fixes are found, I will try to keep up-to-date with them and add them to this thread. I use Windows Vista Ultimate edition, while i have not had all of the problems in this FAQ, I do not know if there is any difference between the versions and the way the bugs are.
Section III: Bugs and Possible Solutions
Section IV: Closing
The talk of Windows Vista and its compatability with Conquer Online is becoming increasingly more commonplace, so I figured it was time to start bringing it all together. Some people have absolutely no problems with Vista, and some have so many that it makes it near impossible to play the game. I'll start of saying here that Conquer Online and Vista are not made for each other, so don't expect perfect compatability until TQ announces that they are going to make it compatable. Conquer Online was made for Windows XP, according to the site it is compatable with "Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP/Vista" (Source) (The addition of Vista to that list is news to me though o.o). Not many things are compatable with Vista as it is a new operating system. However, I expect more programs will become compatable with it within the next two or so years. The point of this guide is to help guide you through the Vista/Conquer online relationship and to help you out with any possible bugs you may have.

Section II: Common Questions
Question: Can I even run Conquer Online on my Vista computer?
Answer: Probably yes. While some people have major issues with Conquer Online and Vista, most people can run it perfectly with only minor bugs and glitches.

Question: Why does Vista ask me to allow Conquer Online to run every time I open it?
Answer: This is part of Vista's new security features. Vista wants to make sure that you are in full knowledge of anything trying to connect to the internet to keep your computer safe. It may be annoying, but you'll get used to it after a while.

Question: The first time I open Conquer Online it asks me to allow it multiple times, why does it do this?
Answer: Vista needs to make sure that you, as an administrator, are allowing each aspect of the program to run. Since Conquer has many applications within the Conquer Folder (play.exe, Autopatch,exe, conquer.exe, etc.), it is checking for each item.

Question: What about the compatability with the new GUI? Does Vista work with the new Windows Aero theme?
Answer: Well, Aero needs to be run in 32 bit for it to work. Aero allows the 3D flip feauture as well as previews of each window open when you hover your mouse over the tab on the task bar. When running Conquer in 32 Bit though, you will be able to use Conquer to see previews of what is happening in your Conquer client in real-time. This is very useful if you are plvling or doing something else and want to check up on your other Conquer client. Here is a guide to running Conquer in 32 bit: Link.

Here are some useful key shortcuts that you can use with Vista:
Windows Key + Tab: This activates the 3D flip feature, keep pressing tab to scroll between open windows and your desktop.
Alt + Tab: Shows a little bar with your open windows and your desktop.
Middle Mouse Button: opens a screen with all of your open windows and your desktop that you can click and select.
Windows Key + D: This force minimizes all open programs and windows. This is useful for getting to shortcuts, icons, files, etc. on your desktop.

Section III: Bugs and Possible Solutions
Bug / Issue: There is an odd symbol at the end of my chat that looks like this: . I can't delete it, but it only appears when I type one letter like this: K.
Solutions / Possible Solutions: None so far as anyone else or I know. It is just a random character that has to do with fonts and Conquer Online. They appear no matter what font you use with CO, but don't seem to bug the game itself.

Bug / Issue: Buttons and other things appear in the wrong places in the client and there are random lines lines and graphic problems.
Solutions / Possible Solutions: This usually has to do with graphic driver issues. Make sure that you do regular checks for new drivers from your graphic card provider. If not, make sure that you have your dpi set to 96 under your visual settings.

Bug / Issue: My screen freezes whenever someone actiaves the skill 'Cyclone' and I have to force exit Conquer Online.
Solutions / Possible Solutions: Once again this problem seems to be graphic driver-related. Make sure you have the most up-to-date drivers for your video card and see if it goes away. Another method that some people have found works is setting all the applications in the Conquer folder to run in Windows XP SP2 compatability (Right click -> Properties -> Compatability). If this dos not work, the only other way is to press Ctrl + Alt + Delete and then hit cancel so that it refreshes your screen.

Bug / Issue: Whenever I log in I can't connect to any server. They all have the Green light saying they have a light server load, but I still can't log in.
Solutions / Possible Solutions: This probably has to do with Vista keeping Conquer from connecting to the internet. First try making sure that your firewall(s) and Anti-Virus programs allow Conquer through and try again. If that doesn't work, right click play.exe (In the Conquer folder) and hit "Run as Administrator" and try again.

Bug / Issue: I get a 'myshell microsoft' error with random chinese symbols in it and my client closes.
Solutions / Possible Solutions: This happens in XP too sometimes. If this is common or happens whenever you try to do something, try running the program as an administrator again and if that doesn't work, reboot the computer and try again. It sometimes has to do with other processes running.

Bug / Issue: When I run Conquer in 32 bit so I can use Aero, I get odd black boxes around super weapon sometimes.
Solutions / Possible Solutions: This happens whenever you run CO in 32 bit. I just deal with it as it is not often and I prefer to use Aero anyways. If you'd rather not see this, you can run CO in 16 Bit.

Bug / Issue: Whenever I type I get random symbols throughout my message. I get it at the end and somtimes I get segments of things that I or other players have said.
Solutions / Possible Solutions: The only confirmed part about this bug is that it may have to do with drivers with your mouse, keyboard, tablet etc. You can try uninstalling some drivers if you know the device will work without them, otherwise I think you're stuck with it. No one seems to know what causes it, but a thread I started HERE is where I discussed the same problem. Look through that to see if you can come up with anything.
-UPDATE-
After the August 29 Windows Update, my problems with the symbols was gone. One of the the 4 updates was meant to relieve hardware compatability issues with Vista. It may not solve everyone problem's, but it got rid of whatever problem there was with my tablet in relation to CO. The update name was "Update for Windows Vista (KB938194)".

This list is always update as new bugs appear. If you have a bug that seems to be Vista-related PM me and I'll add it to the list and see what solutions I can come up with. For now, try running the program as an Administrator or running it for compatability with Windows XP SP2 when you have problems. That seems to fix 60% of problems and is always worth a try.

Section IV: Closing
Vista and Conquer are not fully compatable as I said before, but there are usually ways to work around the problems you encounter. I expect that as more and more people use Vista TQ may start making it more Vista-friendly. The question you have to ask yourself is if you really don't like the way Vista treats Conquer, is it really worth downgrading and spending more money to go back to XP because of a game? You could always try having a computer with two operating systems on it if you want, but I think it is foolish to have an entire operating system devoted to Conquer.

I am just another player that has Vista, but I figure that if everyone that has Vista chips in we can find a way around most of the problems.

Keep me updated, everyone, on bugs and other glitches with Vista, or just common questions you have and I'll add them to the thread and try to keep this thread up-to-date.

Happy gaming! (With Vista!)

Last edited by ChaosDealer73; 08-29-2007 at 04:56.
ChaosDealer73 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2007, 14:05   #2
ChaosDealer73
Heh.

ChaosDealer73 has a reputation beyond reputeChaosDealer73 has a reputation beyond reputeChaosDealer73 has a reputation beyond reputeChaosDealer73 has a reputation beyond reputeChaosDealer73 has a reputation beyond reputeChaosDealer73 has a reputation beyond reputeChaosDealer73 has a reputation beyond reputeChaosDealer73 has a reputation beyond reputeChaosDealer73 has a reputation beyond reputeChaosDealer73 has a reputation beyond reputeChaosDealer73 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Derya
Stickied! Well done~!
Thanks! After I get home from work today I will look in the history of the FAQ/Bug forums and see any other things I missed.
Old 07-22-2007, 16:08   #3
Detergent

Detergent has a reputation beyond reputeDetergent has a reputation beyond reputeDetergent has a reputation beyond reputeDetergent has a reputation beyond reputeDetergent has a reputation beyond reputeDetergent has a reputation beyond reputeDetergent has a reputation beyond reputeDetergent has a reputation beyond reputeDetergent has a reputation beyond reputeDetergent has a reputation beyond reputeDetergent has a reputation beyond repute
Chat glitch in Windows Vista

There is a chat glitch in windows Vista. I'll show screenies.

I tested it a little, and it doesn't happen on the forum, or on the message board. Only in-game chat.

The parts in the red square were not typed, but are a part of the glitch.

Is there a font I need to download?

ps- I am running conquer. exe and play . exe in compatibility mode for winxpsp2
Old 07-22-2007, 20:02   #4
ChaosDealer73
Heh.

The only thing that we can prove to effect this is the drivers installed on your computer that relate to your Mouse, Keyboard, tablet, etc. Check these links, they may not provide an answer to your question, but they may provide insight:
http://bbs.conqueronline.com/showthr...hreadid=389888

http://bbs.conqueronline.com/showthr...hreadid=386174
Old 07-23-2007, 00:02   #5
Detergent

Detergent has a reputation beyond reputeDetergent has a reputation beyond reputeDetergent has a reputation beyond reputeDetergent has a reputation beyond reputeDetergent has a reputation beyond reputeDetergent has a reputation beyond reputeDetergent has a reputation beyond reputeDetergent has a reputation beyond reputeDetergent has a reputation beyond reputeDetergent has a reputation beyond reputeDetergent has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the reply.

From what is happening, I can infer that the problem in no way involves keyboard input.

I can post fine on the message board, on this forum, in emails, text and word documents.

The only place this happens is in the chat box of Conquer Online, meaning there is something about the chat box that is involved.

Additionally, it also "grabs" system messages from my screen and adds it to my typed messages, such as "Your friend John Doe has just entered the game!"

Thanks for the links. I found the vista thread very useful, so I bookmarked it.

If you have any insight, I'd appreciate it.

edit:

In addition, you will notice that it doesn't happen when you first start chatting. It comes on eventually, after a few lines of conversation.

Last edited by Detergent; 07-23-2007 at 00:16.
Detergent is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2007, 09:11   #6
ChaosDealer73
Heh.

Quote:
Originally posted by Detergent
Thanks for the reply.

From what is happening, I can infer that the problem in no way involves keyboard input.

I can post fine on the message board, on this forum, in emails, text and word documents.

The only place this happens is in the chat box of Conquer Online, meaning there is something about the chat box that is involved.

Additionally, it also "grabs" system messages from my screen and adds it to my typed messages, such as "Your friend John Doe has just entered the game!"

Thanks for the links. I found the vista thread very useful, so I bookmarked it.

If you have any insight, I'd appreciate it.

edit:

In addition, you will notice that it doesn't happen when you first start chatting. It comes on eventually, after a few lines of conversation.
This was in the 2nd link I posted. This is pretty much the extent of my knowledge on this particular bug after 2 weeks of tests, scans, and alterations.
Quote:
Originally posted by ChaosDealer73
Alrighty... the issue seems to be the way that Vista treats HID Compliant navigation devices, and the way that Conquer handles that. After many reboots, regedits, and downloads I've tried every driver from WACOM that works. I tried the ones that were dated to work with Windows XP. The earliest one that worked (September of 2006) still had the same errors. I repeated the test where I uninstalled the driver and then reinstalled it again, it is definately driver-related. When the driver is not installed, there is no issue with the typing.

My educated guess is that Conquer can't handle the idea of 2+navigation/input devices when associated with Windows Vista. What does this mean? The "standard" setup for any computer is a mouse and a keyboard as the main, human controlled input devices for a computer. The Tablet works like a mouse, only one point corresponds to one point on the screen as opposed to the relative position of the mouse where no matter where the cursor is, you can move the mouse (lift it) and move it from that same location.

The task at hand is finding a way to mask the driver or to make Vista not see it as HID Compliant and only as another navigation device so that it will not interfere with Vista.

I could be wrong, but through many test of trial and error, this seems to be the current/best answer.
Old 07-31-2007, 15:44   #7
HotShot
SOCOM

HotShot has a reputation beyond reputeHotShot has a reputation beyond reputeHotShot has a reputation beyond reputeHotShot has a reputation beyond reputeHotShot has a reputation beyond reputeHotShot has a reputation beyond reputeHotShot has a reputation beyond reputeHotShot has a reputation beyond reputeHotShot has a reputation beyond reputeHotShot has a reputation beyond reputeHotShot has a reputation beyond repute
yea um, a lil help and i read through all that shiz
Old 07-31-2007, 20:35   #8
ChaosDealer73
Heh.

Personally, I only get that error when I try to close it CO too fast. Ie: I hit Esc and then Space right away, but the error always goes away. Have you tried re-installing Conquer on Vista or is that a remnant from perhaps your XP computer?

Have you tried running that as an Administrator? I have never had that problem aside from what I said above, so my help on it is somewhat limited :/.
Old 07-31-2007, 21:28   #9
HotShot
SOCOM

HotShot has a reputation beyond reputeHotShot has a reputation beyond reputeHotShot has a reputation beyond reputeHotShot has a reputation beyond reputeHotShot has a reputation beyond reputeHotShot has a reputation beyond reputeHotShot has a reputation beyond reputeHotShot has a reputation beyond reputeHotShot has a reputation beyond reputeHotShot has a reputation beyond reputeHotShot has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Personally, I only get that error when I try to close it CO too fast. Ie: I hit Esc and then Space right away, but the error always goes away. Have you tried re-installing Conquer on Vista or is that a remnant from perhaps your XP computer?

Have you tried running that as an Administrator? I have never had that problem aside from what I said above, so my help on it is somewhat limited :/.
yea i am administrator and i reinstalled + deleted everythign even imported from a flash drive but imma see if i can run it off a flash drive
Old 07-31-2007, 21:40   #10
ChaosDealer73
Heh.

If by any chance you have an XP computer that you have access to, install it on there, then use a flash drive (has to be 1g+ in size) and copy it back into your computer. Conquer does not have any registries that it is dependant upon to play, so it won't matter if it isn't technically 'installed' on your computer.
Old 07-31-2007, 22:23   #11
HotShot
SOCOM

Quote:
If by any chance you have an XP computer that you have access to, install it on there, then use a flash drive (has to be 1g+ in size) and copy it back into your computer. Conquer does not have any registries that it is dependant upon to play, so it won't matter if it isn't technically 'installed' on your computer.
already tried it and it doesnt even work on my XP computer now wtf...but i was playing last nite until my laptop dropped now i cant play conquer on it laptop has (XP) desktop (vista)
vista sucks
Old 08-01-2007, 11:28   #12
ChaosDealer73
Heh.

You dropped your laptop and it stopped working, so you're blaming Vista? I'll see what other information I can find, but like I said - my knowledge on this certain issue is limited.
Old 08-01-2007, 21:06   #13
1_Dark_Trogan_1

1_Dark_Trogan_1 has a reputation beyond repute1_Dark_Trogan_1 has a reputation beyond repute1_Dark_Trogan_1 has a reputation beyond repute1_Dark_Trogan_1 has a reputation beyond repute1_Dark_Trogan_1 has a reputation beyond repute1_Dark_Trogan_1 has a reputation beyond repute1_Dark_Trogan_1 has a reputation beyond repute1_Dark_Trogan_1 has a reputation beyond repute1_Dark_Trogan_1 has a reputation beyond repute1_Dark_Trogan_1 has a reputation beyond repute1_Dark_Trogan_1 has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation windows vista

hey guys i wanna tell u guys ever since i bought Windows Vista i would get these werid boxes and repeated words at the end of my sentence. I would recommend a patch that can end this cause its VERY annoying to me and others that talk or read what im saying heres an

example :[Whisper]1_Dark_Trogan_1 speaks to 1_Dark_Trogan_1: jnasdgf,abnflvAvDã[22:45]

as u can see i did the jnasdgf,abnfl and the words after it goes on its own i would be welcomed to show you this i play on
Gem World, Ruby

and my account name is 1_Dark_Trogan_1 and you may whisper me any time i would be very happy to see a new patch for Vista users.

Thanks
1_Dark_Trogan_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2007, 21:08   #14
TrU3
poutine

TrU3 has a reputation beyond reputeTrU3 has a reputation beyond reputeTrU3 has a reputation beyond reputeTrU3 has a reputation beyond reputeTrU3 has a reputation beyond reputeTrU3 has a reputation beyond reputeTrU3 has a reputation beyond reputeTrU3 has a reputation beyond reputeTrU3 has a reputation beyond reputeTrU3 has a reputation beyond reputeTrU3 has a reputation beyond repute
Same prob I had.

Go to the accounts services, let the guy called Guest log on. Log off your comp log on the account of Guest and you won't have that prob anymore
TrU3 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2007, 00:01   #15
Fantastik

Fantastik has a reputation beyond reputeFantastik has a reputation beyond reputeFantastik has a reputation beyond reputeFantastik has a reputation beyond reputeFantastik has a reputation beyond reputeFantastik has a reputation beyond reputeFantastik has a reputation beyond reputeFantastik has a reputation beyond reputeFantastik has a reputation beyond reputeFantastik has a reputation beyond reputeFantastik has a reputation beyond repute
need help...

currently on my patop the mouse flashes between the regular mouse pointer and the sword that is used by the clicker in the conquer ame its the reason i lag like crazy on this game if anyone could help psot a reply-.-
Pegasus:
FantastiK: 116 tro
~Nublet~ 95 archer

I can't believe i'm back.

First +9 spear on SW

Hooter boy for life of course.
Fantastik is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: