Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 07:02   #991
ArrowsUnited
forum vet
 
ArrowsUnited's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 8,083
ArrowsUnited has a reputation beyond reputeArrowsUnited has a reputation beyond reputeArrowsUnited has a reputation beyond reputeArrowsUnited has a reputation beyond reputeArrowsUnited has a reputation beyond reputeArrowsUnited has a reputation beyond reputeArrowsUnited has a reputation beyond reputeArrowsUnited has a reputation beyond reputeArrowsUnited has a reputation beyond reputeArrowsUnited has a reputation beyond reputeArrowsUnited has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to ArrowsUnited
People Who Type Like This When It Is Not A Title To Something.

I find it incredibly counterproductive. Here's my reasoning:

My reason is based on two assumptions:

1. I assume that they are typing **** because their intention is to have others read the **** that they type. If you type like that, and it's meant to be for yourself to read, then that's fine; just don't post it up so people can read it.

2. The intended reader is fluent in English, has experience reading English. Especially properly typed out English.

From the reader's side, it better be a title to an article or video. Reading one line of every word being capitalized is fine. Reading a sentence or two is slightly irritating. Reading a whole ****ing paragraph with every word capitalized is simply not going to happen, at least for me. It's heavily inefficient for both the person who put forth extra labour on synchronizing the shift key to the first letter to each word. For the reader, it requires extra effort, time, and patience to identify which nouns are proper nouns (and the ambiguities that come with the package), where the sentences starts and ends. That means the reader has to spend extra effort scanning through the sentences to find where the punctuation marks are hidden.

Here's an example: There are two sentences where every word is capitalized. They are separated by a period. Instead of paying attention to which words are capitalized, the reader needs to find where the writer has hidden the period.

So we, the readers, basically spend extra time converting capitalized words into non-capitalized words, and before taking that step, deciding whether or not that conversion is required (e.g. proper nouns). When both the choice of conversion and no conversion are equally plausible, such as a word that could be both a proper noun or a regular noun, there's ambiguity. The reader then has to consider both possibilities, and effectively doubles the content to read by considering both possibilities of the ambiguity.

The cost just makes it inefficient. We're not talking about costs with monetary value, but implicit costs (which mean costs that don't have an explicit dollar value). An implicit cost is incurred for the writer who spends extra time pressing down that shift key, and another set of implicit costs is incurred for the reader for the above reasons.

Similar to the concept of demand from the study of economics, the price of reading silly capitalized **** increases, decreasing the quantity of reading content demanded. That means that there are people who aren't as much of an annoying picky ****er like I am, and there are those who would simply refuse to read paragraphs of every word being capitalized. This goes against the assumption that people type words for people to read as a way of self-expression.

So that means it's counter-productive and inefficient with implicit costs that can be avoided.
__________________
Active: 2004-2009

Last edited by ArrowsUnited; 11-17-2011 at 07:20.
ArrowsUnited is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2011, 13:29   #992
SwichB1ade
20% Cooler
 
SwichB1ade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NO! We drink the bleach!
Posts: 2,430
SwichB1ade has a reputation beyond reputeSwichB1ade has a reputation beyond reputeSwichB1ade has a reputation beyond reputeSwichB1ade has a reputation beyond reputeSwichB1ade has a reputation beyond reputeSwichB1ade has a reputation beyond reputeSwichB1ade has a reputation beyond reputeSwichB1ade has a reputation beyond reputeSwichB1ade has a reputation beyond reputeSwichB1ade has a reputation beyond reputeSwichB1ade has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowsUnited View Post
People Who Type Like This When It Is Not A Title To Something.

I find it incredibly counterproductive. Here's my reasoning:

My reason is based on two assumptions:

1. I assume that they are typing **** because their intention is to have others read the **** that they type. If you type like that, and it's meant to be for yourself to read, then that's fine; just don't post it up so people can read it.

2. The intended reader is fluent in English, has experience reading English. Especially properly typed out English.

From the reader's side, it better be a title to an article or video. Reading one line of every word being capitalized is fine. Reading a sentence or two is slightly irritating. Reading a whole ****ing paragraph with every word capitalized is simply not going to happen, at least for me. It's heavily inefficient for both the person who put forth extra labour on synchronizing the shift key to the first letter to each word. For the reader, it requires extra effort, time, and patience to identify which nouns are proper nouns (and the ambiguities that come with the package), where the sentences starts and ends. That means the reader has to spend extra effort scanning through the sentences to find where the punctuation marks are hidden.

Here's an example: There are two sentences where every word is capitalized. They are separated by a period. Instead of paying attention to which words are capitalized, the reader needs to find where the writer has hidden the period.

So we, the readers, basically spend extra time converting capitalized words into non-capitalized words, and before taking that step, deciding whether or not that conversion is required (e.g. proper nouns). When both the choice of conversion and no conversion are equally plausible, such as a word that could be both a proper noun or a regular noun, there's ambiguity. The reader then has to consider both possibilities, and effectively doubles the content to read by considering both possibilities of the ambiguity.

The cost just makes it inefficient. We're not talking about costs with monetary value, but implicit costs (which mean costs that don't have an explicit dollar value). An implicit cost is incurred for the writer who spends extra time pressing down that shift key, and another set of implicit costs is incurred for the reader for the above reasons.

Similar to the concept of demand from the study of economics, the price of reading silly capitalized **** increases, decreasing the quantity of reading content demanded. That means that there are people who aren't as much of an annoying picky ****er like I am, and there are those who would simply refuse to read paragraphs of every word being capitalized. This goes against the assumption that people type words for people to read as a way of self-expression.

So that means it's counter-productive and inefficient with implicit costs that can be avoided.
__________________
Got it bad
Need to get some more
Today it's gonna snow
Gonna put White Christmas up my nose

I ain't no weatherman - don't know if it's gonna rain
'Cause I'm a rock 'n roll clown, do a lot of cocaine
One of these days they're gonna take me away
'Cause I'm Dr. Rockso, and I do cocaine
SwichB1ade is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2011, 02:27   #993
mwah
hell yeah
 
mwah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,775
mwah has a reputation beyond reputemwah has a reputation beyond reputemwah has a reputation beyond reputemwah has a reputation beyond reputemwah has a reputation beyond reputemwah has a reputation beyond reputemwah has a reputation beyond reputemwah has a reputation beyond reputemwah has a reputation beyond reputemwah has a reputation beyond reputemwah has a reputation beyond repute
I hate it when the mods delete our posts. how would they like it if we deleted theirs?
mwah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2011, 02:51   #994
Bob the Builder
(◕‿◕✿)
 
Bob the Builder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15,712
Bob the Builder has a reputation beyond reputeBob the Builder has a reputation beyond reputeBob the Builder has a reputation beyond reputeBob the Builder has a reputation beyond reputeBob the Builder has a reputation beyond reputeBob the Builder has a reputation beyond reputeBob the Builder has a reputation beyond reputeBob the Builder has a reputation beyond reputeBob the Builder has a reputation beyond reputeBob the Builder has a reputation beyond reputeBob the Builder has a reputation beyond repute
When people act like taking a piss in the shower is the grossest thing ever.
Everyone does it, and whoever denies it is a ****ing liar.
Bob the Builder is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2011, 03:00   #995
~Ahmed~
1337
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: ****hole
Posts: 8,898
~Ahmed~ has a reputation beyond repute~Ahmed~ has a reputation beyond repute~Ahmed~ has a reputation beyond repute~Ahmed~ has a reputation beyond repute~Ahmed~ has a reputation beyond repute~Ahmed~ has a reputation beyond repute~Ahmed~ has a reputation beyond repute~Ahmed~ has a reputation beyond repute~Ahmed~ has a reputation beyond repute~Ahmed~ has a reputation beyond repute~Ahmed~ has a reputation beyond repute
When people act out of arrogance and insist on doing actions even though they know they're wrong. Simple little monkeys.
__________________
A brief taste of chaos will remind them why they crave obedience.
~Ahmed~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2011, 04:07   #996
Jaxx..
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,536
Jaxx.. has a reputation beyond reputeJaxx.. has a reputation beyond reputeJaxx.. has a reputation beyond reputeJaxx.. has a reputation beyond reputeJaxx.. has a reputation beyond reputeJaxx.. has a reputation beyond reputeJaxx.. has a reputation beyond reputeJaxx.. has a reputation beyond reputeJaxx.. has a reputation beyond reputeJaxx.. has a reputation beyond reputeJaxx.. has a reputation beyond repute
People who brainwash children.
Jaxx.. is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2011, 05:36   #997
thehempknight
Your Ruler
 
thehempknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 10,432
thehempknight has a reputation beyond reputethehempknight has a reputation beyond reputethehempknight has a reputation beyond reputethehempknight has a reputation beyond reputethehempknight has a reputation beyond reputethehempknight has a reputation beyond reputethehempknight has a reputation beyond reputethehempknight has a reputation beyond reputethehempknight has a reputation beyond reputethehempknight has a reputation beyond reputethehempknight has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwah View Post
I hate it when the mods delete our posts. how would they like it if we deleted theirs?
I hate it when people want to do the thing they claim to hate.

__________________
sar
c
a
s
m

I hate it when it drips like that....

Official Unofficial NonMember of the BACONEERS!!!!11eleven

There's no point for democracy when ignorance is celebrated.

The saline from your tear ducts energizes my ego.
thehempknight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2011, 05:47   #998
mwah
hell yeah
 
mwah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,775
mwah has a reputation beyond reputemwah has a reputation beyond reputemwah has a reputation beyond reputemwah has a reputation beyond reputemwah has a reputation beyond reputemwah has a reputation beyond reputemwah has a reputation beyond reputemwah has a reputation beyond reputemwah has a reputation beyond reputemwah has a reputation beyond reputemwah has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehempknight View Post
I hate it when people want to do the thing they claim to hate.

I HATE everything about justin bieber. I hate his brainless fans who will move on to another sensation in a years time...
canadians, i love you but you have a track record of spawning really ****ty artists: bieber, celine dion, Michael buble, avril lavigne....
mwah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2011, 05:59   #999
Electra_Glide
Giddy Up
 
Electra_Glide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,383
Electra_Glide has a reputation beyond reputeElectra_Glide has a reputation beyond reputeElectra_Glide has a reputation beyond reputeElectra_Glide has a reputation beyond reputeElectra_Glide has a reputation beyond reputeElectra_Glide has a reputation beyond reputeElectra_Glide has a reputation beyond reputeElectra_Glide has a reputation beyond reputeElectra_Glide has a reputation beyond reputeElectra_Glide has a reputation beyond reputeElectra_Glide has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwah View Post
I HATE everything about justin bieber. I hate his brainless fans who will move on to another sensation in a years time...
canadians, i love you but you have a track record of spawning really ****ty artists: bieber, celine dion, Michael buble, avril lavigne....
Theres some good **** that has come out of Canada, but yah ones you mentioned suck. I could go on to make a Australian list of ****ty artists, but hell, someone would start calling me racist lol.
Electra_Glide is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2011, 06:00   #1000
thehempknight
Your Ruler
 
thehempknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 10,432
thehempknight has a reputation beyond reputethehempknight has a reputation beyond reputethehempknight has a reputation beyond reputethehempknight has a reputation beyond reputethehempknight has a reputation beyond reputethehempknight has a reputation beyond reputethehempknight has a reputation beyond reputethehempknight has a reputation beyond reputethehempknight has a reputation beyond reputethehempknight has a reputation beyond reputethehempknight has a reputation beyond repute
But only if it's about Aboriginals.
Besides, everyone knows S.mouse is the best musician from Australia.
__________________
sar
c
a
s
m

I hate it when it drips like that....

Official Unofficial NonMember of the BACONEERS!!!!11eleven

There's no point for democracy when ignorance is celebrated.

The saline from your tear ducts energizes my ego.
thehempknight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2011, 06:02   #1001
zand183zef
Registered User
 
zand183zef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 26
zand183zef has a reputation beyond reputezand183zef has a reputation beyond reputezand183zef has a reputation beyond reputezand183zef has a reputation beyond reputezand183zef has a reputation beyond reputezand183zef has a reputation beyond reputezand183zef has a reputation beyond reputezand183zef has a reputation beyond reputezand183zef has a reputation beyond reputezand183zef has a reputation beyond reputezand183zef has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Builder View Post
When people act like taking a piss in the shower is the grossest thing ever.
Everyone does it, and whoever denies it is a ****ing liar.
idk what this ****'s about but god i get so horny of that picture you have ......

where/what is it frommm
__________________
_____________________________

"In fact actually, new threads were just made for both at about the same time. /chat has -20 replies and there's 26 here."-me.

"Subjectivesubjectivesubjectivesubjective"
- also me.

"I am extremely fond of my MacBook Pro"
-The.NWO.OwnsYou
zand183zef is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2011, 06:03   #1002
Electra_Glide
Giddy Up
 
Electra_Glide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,383
Electra_Glide has a reputation beyond reputeElectra_Glide has a reputation beyond reputeElectra_Glide has a reputation beyond reputeElectra_Glide has a reputation beyond reputeElectra_Glide has a reputation beyond reputeElectra_Glide has a reputation beyond reputeElectra_Glide has a reputation beyond reputeElectra_Glide has a reputation beyond reputeElectra_Glide has a reputation beyond reputeElectra_Glide has a reputation beyond reputeElectra_Glide has a reputation beyond repute
Hows that.....those dudes rock man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Canadian Rock n Rollers....




Last edited by Electra_Glide; 11-18-2011 at 06:17.
Electra_Glide is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2011, 06:34   #1003
Paper~DeidaraZ
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Skyloft
Posts: 6,451
Paper~DeidaraZ has a reputation beyond reputePaper~DeidaraZ has a reputation beyond reputePaper~DeidaraZ has a reputation beyond reputePaper~DeidaraZ has a reputation beyond reputePaper~DeidaraZ has a reputation beyond reputePaper~DeidaraZ has a reputation beyond reputePaper~DeidaraZ has a reputation beyond reputePaper~DeidaraZ has a reputation beyond reputePaper~DeidaraZ has a reputation beyond reputePaper~DeidaraZ has a reputation beyond reputePaper~DeidaraZ has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwah View Post
I HATE everything about justin bieber. I hate his brainless fans who will move on to another sensation in a years time...
canadians, i love you but you have a track record of spawning really ****ty artists: bieber, celine dion, Michael buble, avril lavigne....
at least australians got AC/DC
Paper~DeidaraZ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2011, 20:55   #1004
mwah
hell yeah
 
mwah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,775
mwah has a reputation beyond reputemwah has a reputation beyond reputemwah has a reputation beyond reputemwah has a reputation beyond reputemwah has a reputation beyond reputemwah has a reputation beyond reputemwah has a reputation beyond reputemwah has a reputation beyond reputemwah has a reputation beyond reputemwah has a reputation beyond reputemwah has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehempknight View Post
But only if it's about Aboriginals.
Besides, everyone knows S.mouse is the best musician from Australia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra_Glide View Post
Hows that.....those dudes rock man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GUYS. I laughed so much i almost cried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper~DeidaraZ View Post
at least australians got AC/DC
true.
that being said we don't produce much international music. but at least we didn't spawn Justin Bieber..
mwah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2011, 18:55   #1005
Heyga4Huk
noble ftw
 
Heyga4Huk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,920
Heyga4Huk has a reputation beyond reputeHeyga4Huk has a reputation beyond reputeHeyga4Huk has a reputation beyond reputeHeyga4Huk has a reputation beyond reputeHeyga4Huk has a reputation beyond reputeHeyga4Huk has a reputation beyond reputeHeyga4Huk has a reputation beyond reputeHeyga4Huk has a reputation beyond reputeHeyga4Huk has a reputation beyond reputeHeyga4Huk has a reputation beyond reputeHeyga4Huk has a reputation beyond repute
pro singing skillz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipb_xzcCs6I
__________________
130 water - 130 warrior - 130 trojan on Liberty.

First wat-war-tro on Unicorn.
130 wat-130 war-130 tro on Unicorn.

This is Bulgaria.
Heyga4Huk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:58.


You Rated this Thread: