Old 07-18-2009, 20:16   #1
stanisIav
Banned

stanisIav has a reputation beyond reputestanisIav has a reputation beyond reputestanisIav has a reputation beyond reputestanisIav has a reputation beyond reputestanisIav has a reputation beyond reputestanisIav has a reputation beyond reputestanisIav has a reputation beyond reputestanisIav has a reputation beyond reputestanisIav has a reputation beyond reputestanisIav has a reputation beyond reputestanisIav has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to stanisIav
New PC PSU

Alright, so I'm looking to buy a new PSU soon, and I've never replaced one before. Right now, my PC has a stock 300W 12V PSU and my GPU performance is probably being hindered by the lack of power.

Before I even go out and buy it, I've got to see if I can get a few questions answered.

1) How difficult is it to install a new PSU? Would I need to find one that fits properly inside my case or are all PSUs about the same size?

2) Is it even possible that my GPU performance, which has a minimum power requirement of 475W, might be affected by the low amount of power coming from my PSU?
stanisIav is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2009, 20:22   #2
~T0M~v6
Banned

~T0M~v6 has a reputation beyond repute~T0M~v6 has a reputation beyond repute~T0M~v6 has a reputation beyond repute~T0M~v6 has a reputation beyond repute~T0M~v6 has a reputation beyond repute~T0M~v6 has a reputation beyond repute~T0M~v6 has a reputation beyond repute~T0M~v6 has a reputation beyond repute~T0M~v6 has a reputation beyond repute~T0M~v6 has a reputation beyond repute~T0M~v6 has a reputation beyond repute
the minimum specs req are way over the real req power, company is just trying to cover its butt

judging by your last post in the RE5 thread, you have an ATX mid or full tower (AKA normal computer size)
the vast majority of PSUs are compatible with that form factor

when picking a PSU, you basically only need to look at the +12v rails
as long as the combined amps of the +12v rail(s) is around 36, you should be good for your comp and any future upgrades

PSUs are probably one of the easiest things to install, and your entire system could short circuit with a **** PSU, and if ur case is ATX, then get an ATX PSU, it'll say it on the packaging

I suggest getting corsair, as they tend to be more reliable (in my experience) and cheaper. Also, make sure your PSU efficiency is at least 80%, but most gaming level PSUs meet that requirement

if you don't know the form factor of your chassis, then post a picture of it

edit: make sure to avoid 1200 or 1500w PSUs because a common household circuit can only run 15-20 amps on 120v, and you don't want to get near its limit with all the plugs on a power strip

Last edited by ~T0M~v6; 07-18-2009 at 20:38.
~T0M~v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2009, 23:56   #3
BS_Detector
PooPoo

BS_Detector has a reputation beyond reputeBS_Detector has a reputation beyond reputeBS_Detector has a reputation beyond reputeBS_Detector has a reputation beyond reputeBS_Detector has a reputation beyond reputeBS_Detector has a reputation beyond reputeBS_Detector has a reputation beyond reputeBS_Detector has a reputation beyond reputeBS_Detector has a reputation beyond reputeBS_Detector has a reputation beyond reputeBS_Detector has a reputation beyond repute
Somethings you need to consider before you buying a PSU.

1.) Will it have enough molex connectors, especially if you have high end hardware.

2.) You need to know what kind of PSU you have. Buying a standard ATX and trying to put it in a micro ATX case and micro ATX compatibility motherboard won't work.

You can check to see what kind of PSU you have now by looking for labeling on the unit, it should say what model and **** it is. If it doesn't say what type it is, search the model number on it. If that doesn't determine what it is, then search information on your model and brand computer.

Installing a PSU is fairly simple. Just don't forget to reconnect everything and connect them in the right places -- some people can get confused by that.

With your video card that PSU sucks.. I'd suggest at least a 500w that has a decent fan or two to cool better.

Your GPU is effected. The performance isn't but once you start get into intense gaming or whatever, and your GPU can't get enough power your computer will probably crash. You may have overheating issues as well, because of a small PSU not designed to cool very well.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:05   #4
DaManFromNoWher

DaManFromNoWher has a reputation beyond reputeDaManFromNoWher has a reputation beyond reputeDaManFromNoWher has a reputation beyond reputeDaManFromNoWher has a reputation beyond reputeDaManFromNoWher has a reputation beyond reputeDaManFromNoWher has a reputation beyond reputeDaManFromNoWher has a reputation beyond reputeDaManFromNoWher has a reputation beyond reputeDaManFromNoWher has a reputation beyond reputeDaManFromNoWher has a reputation beyond reputeDaManFromNoWher has a reputation beyond repute
What all the others said and

Shop online like tigerdirect or such, find the one you want, then research it on the web, before you buy it. Some PSUs are made very cheaply, and may power surge or "brown out" inside the case, with out you ever knowing it. Nothing like replacing a few sticks of RAM, before you figure out it's the PSU as the culpert.
DaManFromNoWher is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2009, 02:04   #5
ManWithNoName
Lame

ManWithNoName has a reputation beyond reputeManWithNoName has a reputation beyond reputeManWithNoName has a reputation beyond reputeManWithNoName has a reputation beyond reputeManWithNoName has a reputation beyond reputeManWithNoName has a reputation beyond reputeManWithNoName has a reputation beyond reputeManWithNoName has a reputation beyond reputeManWithNoName has a reputation beyond reputeManWithNoName has a reputation beyond reputeManWithNoName has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to ManWithNoName
all the above + be careful on the cable lengths if your PSU mounts in the bottom of your case.
Old 07-19-2009, 19:02   #6
Lamb
Banned

Location: Currently pursuing my education somewhere in the American Midwest. It's cold. And full of polite white people.
Lamb has a reputation beyond reputeLamb has a reputation beyond reputeLamb has a reputation beyond reputeLamb has a reputation beyond reputeLamb has a reputation beyond reputeLamb has a reputation beyond reputeLamb has a reputation beyond reputeLamb has a reputation beyond reputeLamb has a reputation beyond reputeLamb has a reputation beyond reputeLamb has a reputation beyond repute
there is an online psu calculator if you know the other parts of your system.

think this is it
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2009, 20:18   #7
stanisIav
Banned

stanisIav has a reputation beyond reputestanisIav has a reputation beyond reputestanisIav has a reputation beyond reputestanisIav has a reputation beyond reputestanisIav has a reputation beyond reputestanisIav has a reputation beyond reputestanisIav has a reputation beyond reputestanisIav has a reputation beyond reputestanisIav has a reputation beyond reputestanisIav has a reputation beyond reputestanisIav has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to stanisIav
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb View Post
there is an online psu calculator if you know the other parts of your system.

think this is it
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html
Well, I already found the extreme one and I was toying around with it.

Apparently my system only uses around 200w of power - even with my new graphics card in it. Pretty odd.

If that's true, and I'm 100w under my limit, I'm going to install some extra 80mm or 120mm fans in my case to get some air circulating.
stanisIav is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2009, 20:21   #8
~T0M~v6
Banned

~T0M~v6 has a reputation beyond repute~T0M~v6 has a reputation beyond repute~T0M~v6 has a reputation beyond repute~T0M~v6 has a reputation beyond repute~T0M~v6 has a reputation beyond repute~T0M~v6 has a reputation beyond repute~T0M~v6 has a reputation beyond repute~T0M~v6 has a reputation beyond repute~T0M~v6 has a reputation beyond repute~T0M~v6 has a reputation beyond repute~T0M~v6 has a reputation beyond repute
Don't worry overmuch about molex connectors, focus on what you really need before bothering with adaptors. for example, you need 6 pin connectors for your GPU and SATA for your hard drives and disc drives (unless you're using IDE, in which case its molex) After making sure those bases are almost covered, worry about buying molex to ______ cables as the majority of modern PSUs have way too many molex
2 molex makes one 6 pin
1 molex makes one sata

the total wattage doesn't matter at all, just look at the 12v rails. also, PSUs only operate at a certain percentage of their labeled power, so keep that in mind, and its not good to even max that out

remember, those calculators are counting a GTX 295 and a 8800 GTS as the same wattage due to their interface

Last edited by ~T0M~v6; 07-19-2009 at 20:26.
~T0M~v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: