Old 09-24-2012, 11:18   #76
Myaio
Banned

Myaio has a reputation beyond reputeMyaio has a reputation beyond reputeMyaio has a reputation beyond reputeMyaio has a reputation beyond reputeMyaio has a reputation beyond reputeMyaio has a reputation beyond reputeMyaio has a reputation beyond reputeMyaio has a reputation beyond reputeMyaio has a reputation beyond reputeMyaio has a reputation beyond reputeMyaio has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanAlanAlan! View Post
However, if YOUR computer connects to a server, let's say xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5816, the router already knows where the packets from that server should go - with or without port forwarding, because you have already established a connection to it. Port forwarding only works "the other way around"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihud5 View Post
Your copy/pasting antics have failed you son as it fails to disprove my statement. How much time/cpu is wasted when you have to inspect every single packet to determine its destination? Wouldn't you think (I know thinking is hard baby it's ok :P ) that if your router did not have to check all of these packets and instead blindly route to a set IP, you would get better performance?

You can find port forwarding as a suggestion to improving latency in pretty much every popular game

^ He has a stamp so I trust him. It will decrease your ping by a considerable amount, not only that it'll increase your download and upload speed by a considerable amount too. Try it out, being wrong doesn't hurt like hot cakes on a summer morning.
Myaio is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2012, 11:19   #77
AlanAlanAlan!
Banned

AlanAlanAlan! has a reputation beyond reputeAlanAlanAlan! has a reputation beyond reputeAlanAlanAlan! has a reputation beyond reputeAlanAlanAlan! has a reputation beyond reputeAlanAlanAlan! has a reputation beyond reputeAlanAlanAlan! has a reputation beyond reputeAlanAlanAlan! has a reputation beyond reputeAlanAlanAlan! has a reputation beyond reputeAlanAlanAlan! has a reputation beyond reputeAlanAlanAlan! has a reputation beyond reputeAlanAlanAlan! has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myaio View Post
^ He has a stamp so I trust him. It will decrease your ping by a considerable amount, not only that it'll increase your download and upload speed by a considerable amount too. Try it out, being wrong doesn't hurt like hot cakes on a summer morning.
I don't have a router, I'm connected directly to the Internet. Or at least directly to my ISP's server. Hehehehhehe
AlanAlanAlan! is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2012, 11:21   #78
~*panda*~
Community's Choice

~*panda*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*panda*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*panda*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*panda*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*panda*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*panda*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*panda*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*panda*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*panda*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*panda*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*panda*~ has a reputation beyond repute
Just tested ihuds theory on my laptop. No difference in ping or fps. Speedtesting to be sure.
~*panda*~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2012, 11:23   #79
~*panda*~
Community's Choice

~*panda*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*panda*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*panda*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*panda*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*panda*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*panda*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*panda*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*panda*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*panda*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*panda*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*panda*~ has a reputation beyond repute
Not forwarded:

Forwarded:

It is a normal fluctuation but I can most certainly assume there is no difference. If there is a difference, it is actually going slower...
Old 09-24-2012, 11:24   #80
ihud5
MödAbuser

ihud5 has a reputation beyond reputeihud5 has a reputation beyond reputeihud5 has a reputation beyond reputeihud5 has a reputation beyond reputeihud5 has a reputation beyond reputeihud5 has a reputation beyond reputeihud5 has a reputation beyond reputeihud5 has a reputation beyond reputeihud5 has a reputation beyond reputeihud5 has a reputation beyond reputeihud5 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Please explain to me how the router would know which device inside a LAN it should forward a packet to without inspecting the packet header first.
lul the packet header is always checked regardless of forwarding or not to verify if the packet was corrupted or not.....you're referring to step 1 of the routing process and I'm talking about step like 6. The router doesn't have to inspect for destination when their is a port forward assignment on that particular port number. When you have port forwarding, any connection made on port xxx will go to the IP you specify. Less work = less lag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*panda*~ View Post
Not forwarded:

Forwarded:

It is a normal fluctuation but I can most certainly assume there is no difference. If there is a difference, it is actually going slower...
You won't see obvious changes in any speedtest. This will only affect gaming and possibly VoIP, but that's about it. Everything else doesn't have such high sensitivity to lag or jitter.
I can guarantee I make more money than you. I speak 6 languages, work for a hedge fund and own a small island just off the Philippines. Why do I waste time on this forum? When I was a coke-fiend at an Ivy-league university I played CO. Now I find it a source of entertainment while I sip my Dom Perignon 1996 and twiddle my thumbs.

Now if you'll excuse me, my lear jet is just being prepped and I'm due in Los Angeles in an hour.

Last edited by ihud5; 09-24-2012 at 11:27.
ihud5 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2012, 11:27   #81
Myaio
Banned

Myaio has a reputation beyond reputeMyaio has a reputation beyond reputeMyaio has a reputation beyond reputeMyaio has a reputation beyond reputeMyaio has a reputation beyond reputeMyaio has a reputation beyond reputeMyaio has a reputation beyond reputeMyaio has a reputation beyond reputeMyaio has a reputation beyond reputeMyaio has a reputation beyond reputeMyaio has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Just tested ihuds theory on my laptop. No difference in ping or fps. Speedtesting to be sure.
You'd have to leave your router off for at least 12 hours to see the effects so for now you're just going to have to be quiet. Take pennis from brohole and clean thoroughly.

Quote:
I don't have a router, I'm connected directly to the Internet. Or at least directly to my ISP's server. Hehehehhehe
This doesn't happen. Redirected connections are inevitable. Hueahaheueua! Did you ever get back up?
Myaio is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2012, 11:37   #82
~*panda*~
Community's Choice

Quote:
lul the packet header is always checked regardless of forwarding or not to verify if the packet was corrupted or not.....you're referring to step 1 of the routing process and I'm talking about step like 6. The router doesn't have to inspect for destination when their is a port forward assignment on that particular port number. When you have port forwarding, any connection made on port xxx will go to the IP you specify. Less work = less lag

You won't see obvious changes in any speedtest. This will only affect gaming and possibly VoIP, but that's about it. Everything else doesn't have such high sensitivity to lag or jitter.
But I just checked on conquer :/. It has no difference. And giving me this "12 hour cooldown for router" chatter isn't going to further improve your point =|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myaio View Post
You'd have to leave your router off for at least 12 hours to see the effects so for now you're just going to have to be quiet. Take pennis from brohole and clean thoroughly.

This doesn't happen. Redirected connections are inevitable. Hueahaheueua! Did you ever get back up?
12 hours? Why? Changes take effect instantly right o_O. Why would I have to wait 12 hours? This is new.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:43   #83
AlanAlanAlan!
Banned

AlanAlanAlan! has a reputation beyond reputeAlanAlanAlan! has a reputation beyond reputeAlanAlanAlan! has a reputation beyond reputeAlanAlanAlan! has a reputation beyond reputeAlanAlanAlan! has a reputation beyond reputeAlanAlanAlan! has a reputation beyond reputeAlanAlanAlan! has a reputation beyond reputeAlanAlanAlan! has a reputation beyond reputeAlanAlanAlan! has a reputation beyond reputeAlanAlanAlan! has a reputation beyond reputeAlanAlanAlan! has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
You're right. Any any connection from the "OUTSIDE" on port xxx will go directly to whatever device you have port forwarded.

Let's just assume that what you are saying is correct. If I port forwarded port 5816 (Conquer's game server) to my desktop PC (let's say 192.168.0.2), then how would I be able to play Conquer from both my laptop and my desktop PC at the same time?

Edit:
You might want to read this if you dislike Wikipedia that much http://www.tixati.com/optimize/router-port-forward.html
Or, for the lazy people:
Quote:
Broadband routers are in wide use today. They enable multiple computers to share a single internet connection, and also provide enhanced security by not allowing arbitrary incoming TCP connections from the internet to reach computers on the LAN (Local Area Network) side of the router.

A broadband router can be a stand alone device with one end plugged into your Cable/DSL modem and the other end plugged into your computer or a wireless antenna, or sometimes they are built directly into DSL and Cable modems.

Broadband routers keep track of all outgoing connections from the LAN side by maintaining an internal mapping table of which computer on the LAN is responsible for a given outgoing connection to a particular destination on the internet. This allows two-way communication between computers on your LAN and computers on the internet, so long as it was a computer on your LAN that initiated the connection in the first place.

When an unsolicited connection comes in from the internet (perhaps from another peer in a download swarm), your router does not know what computer, if any, in the LAN should receive the connection, and will block it.

In order to receive incoming connections from the internet to your computer on the LAN side of the router, you need to change a setting in the router's configuration so that it forwards all incoming connections for a particular port number to your computer in your LAN. There are a few different ways to do this.

Last edited by AlanAlanAlan!; 09-24-2012 at 11:48.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:50   #84
ihud5
MödAbuser

ihud5 has a reputation beyond reputeihud5 has a reputation beyond reputeihud5 has a reputation beyond reputeihud5 has a reputation beyond reputeihud5 has a reputation beyond reputeihud5 has a reputation beyond reputeihud5 has a reputation beyond reputeihud5 has a reputation beyond reputeihud5 has a reputation beyond reputeihud5 has a reputation beyond reputeihud5 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
You're right. Any any connection from the "OUTSIDE" on port xxx will go directly to whatever device you have port forwarded.

Let's just assume that what you are saying is correct. If I port forwarded port 5816 (Conquer's game server) to my desktop PC (let's say 192.168.0.2), then how would I be able to play Conquer from both my laptop and my desktop PC at the same time?

Edit:
You might want to read this if you dislike Wikipedia that much http://www.tixati.com/optimize/router-port-forward.html
Or, for the lazy people:
adding the stipulation of multiple PCs wasn't part of the original discussion, so that would be irrelevant....you're reaching man

Quote:
But I just checked on conquer :/. It has no difference. And giving me this "12 hour cooldown for router" chatter isn't going to further improve your point =|

12 hours? Why? Changes take effect instantly right o_O. Why would I have to wait 12 hours? This is new.
Because in-game ping is a fail number to go by. You should run a continuous ping to the CO server by using the -t switch and then use some comparative analyses to see it really helps. Maybe only by a few hundred milliseconds, but enough to make the difference between you reacting first or your opponent.
I can guarantee I make more money than you. I speak 6 languages, work for a hedge fund and own a small island just off the Philippines. Why do I waste time on this forum? When I was a coke-fiend at an Ivy-league university I played CO. Now I find it a source of entertainment while I sip my Dom Perignon 1996 and twiddle my thumbs.

Now if you'll excuse me, my lear jet is just being prepped and I'm due in Los Angeles in an hour.

Last edited by ihud5; 09-24-2012 at 11:53.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:51   #85
AlanAlanAlan!
Banned

Quote:
adding the stipulation of multiple PCs wasn't part of the original discussion, so that would be irrelevant....you're reaching man
What? Stop trolling
Old 09-24-2012, 12:11   #86
ihud5
MödAbuser

Quote:
What? Stop trolling

Old 09-24-2012, 12:39   #87
Mikeyy
Mikeyy

Mikeyy has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyy has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyy has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyy has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyy has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyy has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyy has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyy has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyy has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyy has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyy has a reputation beyond repute
I'm betting myaio is probably yesume or some other idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous~ View Post
You dumb ****.
Mikeyy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2012, 13:18   #88
Sanad
Lord Ruler

Sanad has a reputation beyond reputeSanad has a reputation beyond reputeSanad has a reputation beyond reputeSanad has a reputation beyond reputeSanad has a reputation beyond reputeSanad has a reputation beyond reputeSanad has a reputation beyond reputeSanad has a reputation beyond reputeSanad has a reputation beyond reputeSanad has a reputation beyond reputeSanad has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyy View Post
I'm betting myaio is probably yesume .
^ This
Old 09-24-2012, 13:51   #89
ghfdhhdf

ghfdhhdf has a reputation beyond reputeghfdhhdf has a reputation beyond reputeghfdhhdf has a reputation beyond reputeghfdhhdf has a reputation beyond reputeghfdhhdf has a reputation beyond reputeghfdhhdf has a reputation beyond reputeghfdhhdf has a reputation beyond reputeghfdhhdf has a reputation beyond reputeghfdhhdf has a reputation beyond reputeghfdhhdf has a reputation beyond reputeghfdhhdf has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Maybe only by a few hundred milliseconds, but enough to make the difference between you reacting first or your opponent.
Great, so that should give me negative ping!

Not sure how a router could possible take even one single ms to process ****. No amount of speeding it up is goign to make any difference greater than that.

Last edited by ghfdhhdf; 09-24-2012 at 13:56.
ghfdhhdf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2012, 14:46   #90
Deathclaw
Soon™

Deathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond reputeDeathclaw has a reputation beyond repute
Well this is boring now. Everyone else that still believes that port forwarding affects your ping should start with the basics like the osi model insteading of spreading bs tips that would be at best just a possible security hole.
Let the hate flow through you.
Computer Scientist
Deathclaw is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: