View Poll Results: In the last 10 years, Do you find the city in which you lived in better or worse off in the last 10
Better 8 100.00%
Worse 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2012, 07:29   #1
DW2012

DW2012 has a reputation beyond reputeDW2012 has a reputation beyond reputeDW2012 has a reputation beyond reputeDW2012 has a reputation beyond reputeDW2012 has a reputation beyond reputeDW2012 has a reputation beyond reputeDW2012 has a reputation beyond reputeDW2012 has a reputation beyond reputeDW2012 has a reputation beyond reputeDW2012 has a reputation beyond reputeDW2012 has a reputation beyond repute
POLL & Personal accounts of your city

In the last ten years I found the city of Toronto slowly struggling with another recession as the government workers are now on a mandated 2 year wage freeze along with many of the workers in the last year or so have been given early retirement packages.

To me the prices have been inflated alot where it can be noticed in the prices for homes have gone to stupid prices. As Vancouver has already began to fall in prices I found people in Toronto still believe the ride is not over.

I have a neighbor that listed his house for 469.000 when that home was sold by the builders for just under 80,000 in 1971 and he bought it at around 300,000 about 8 years ago.

I think the government knows there is trouble coming and their preparing for it by dumping as much liabilities as possible.They have been tightening the rules to make it more difficult to buy homes with less money. In 2007-2008 our federal government borrowed 65 billion to stimulate the economy when the US was going through their troubles. I read somewhere the money from that would end in 2011.

Where are we standing now? I think Toronto high home prices will come down slowly and that will effect governments ability to collect taxes with lower assessments and cause more problems.

To describe more close to home I found many people around me are unemployed and on some kind of assistance and the rest are going through some money troubles with many going through some kind of divorce.

In my poll which I would probably find incorrect due to some people that dislike me here none the less.

I would like to see if the cities you live in are doing better now than 10 years ago

If you would like to post what you found here for others to read that would be fantastic....

Thank You

Last edited by DW2012; 09-05-2012 at 07:33.
DW2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2012, 07:49   #2
thehempknight
Your Ruler

thehempknight has a reputation beyond reputethehempknight has a reputation beyond reputethehempknight has a reputation beyond reputethehempknight has a reputation beyond reputethehempknight has a reputation beyond reputethehempknight has a reputation beyond reputethehempknight has a reputation beyond reputethehempknight has a reputation beyond reputethehempknight has a reputation beyond reputethehempknight has a reputation beyond reputethehempknight has a reputation beyond repute
My city is definitely better than 10 years ago, though not all improvements made have been for the benefit of the city. (looking at you, subway system)
s
m

I hate it when it drips like that....

Official Unofficial NonMember of the BACONEERS!!!!11eleven

There's no point for democracy when ignorance is celebrated.

The saline from your tear ducts energizes my ego.
thehempknight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2012, 08:17   #3
Promethean

Promethean has a reputation beyond reputePromethean has a reputation beyond reputePromethean has a reputation beyond reputePromethean has a reputation beyond reputePromethean has a reputation beyond reputePromethean has a reputation beyond reputePromethean has a reputation beyond reputePromethean has a reputation beyond reputePromethean has a reputation beyond reputePromethean has a reputation beyond reputePromethean has a reputation beyond repute
DW,

Following your format, I've completed my impression of London below:

Quote:
In the last ten years I found the city of Toronto slowly struggling with another recession as the government workers are now on a mandated 2 year wage freeze along with many of the workers in the last year or so have been given early retirement packages.
Have similarly frozen public pay packet, but London is driven by the private sector and not the public pursestrings.

Quote:
To me the prices have been inflated alot where it can be noticed in the prices for homes have gone to stupid prices. As Vancouver has already began to fall in prices I found people in Toronto still believe the ride is not over.
Noticed increase in food items and transport, otherwise I've not personally been affected.

Quote:
I have a neighbor that listed his house for 469.000 when that home was sold by the builders for just under 80,000 in 1971 and he bought it at around 300,000 about 8 years ago.
House prices in my area have increased by 10% minimum in the last year alone. This is good news for me/my girlfriend as we're remortgaging next year. London has generally bucked the trend for house price depreciation across the country, with some areas not even flatlining during the height of the recession.

Quote:
I think the government knows there is trouble coming and their preparing for it by dumping as much liabilities as possible.They have been tightening the rules to make it more difficult to buy homes with less money. In 2007-2008 our federal government borrowed 65 billion to stimulate the economy when the US was going through their troubles. I read somewhere the money from that would end in 2011.
UK government is trying to force the largest UK banks to lend more, particularly those in which the government has a shareholding and at the same time are hitting the banks with more capital requirements (over and above the European/Basel III current capital adequecy requirements) meaning that banks are basically having their balls cut off whilst being asked to grow a pair.

Quote:
Where are we standing now? I think Toronto high home prices will come down slowly and that will effect governments ability to collect taxes with lower assessments and cause more problems.
I don't see London house prices going down in the short term or medium term, unless we get a Grexit or some Euro cataclysm. Even then, the safest place is to put money in the UK property market as some Greeks and Irish have already been doing.

Quote:
To describe more close to home I found many people around me are unemployed and on some kind of assistance and the rest are going through some money troubles with many going through some kind of divorce.
I don't have any friends from school, university or otherwise who are currently unemployed as far as I am aware and most of them are not even married yet.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:48   #4
Dr.ProfMaster

Dr.ProfMaster has a reputation beyond reputeDr.ProfMaster has a reputation beyond reputeDr.ProfMaster has a reputation beyond reputeDr.ProfMaster has a reputation beyond reputeDr.ProfMaster has a reputation beyond reputeDr.ProfMaster has a reputation beyond reputeDr.ProfMaster has a reputation beyond reputeDr.ProfMaster has a reputation beyond reputeDr.ProfMaster has a reputation beyond reputeDr.ProfMaster has a reputation beyond reputeDr.ProfMaster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW2012 View Post

I basically said better because even though there was more money around before there were more gangstaaaaas in my hood, most of em in jail now or dead. And this whole swag *** **** became popular so people are being less gangsta as they get older now.
Dr.ProfMaster is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2012, 08:01   #5
Farau
Banned

Farau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond reputeFarau has a reputation beyond repute
The public transport prices have gone up a huge chunk in the last 10 years, as well as uni fees from 3k a year to 9k a year.. right when I'm starting uni.. But everything else is fine in London.
Farau is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2012, 11:25   #6
Wayne Brady :(
Gentleman

Wayne Brady :( has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Brady :( has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Brady :( has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Brady :( has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Brady :( has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Brady :( has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Brady :( has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Brady :( has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Brady :( has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Brady :( has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Brady :( has a reputation beyond repute
I live in a small village, but the city where I study (25 km away) is doing great.
Old 09-08-2012, 23:27   #7
yang3617
Falon

yang3617 has a reputation beyond reputeyang3617 has a reputation beyond reputeyang3617 has a reputation beyond reputeyang3617 has a reputation beyond reputeyang3617 has a reputation beyond reputeyang3617 has a reputation beyond reputeyang3617 has a reputation beyond reputeyang3617 has a reputation beyond reputeyang3617 has a reputation beyond reputeyang3617 has a reputation beyond reputeyang3617 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to yang3617 Send a message via AIM to yang3617 Send a message via Yahoo to yang3617 Send a message via Skype™ to yang3617
Chicago is great.

Still doesn't justify the absurd state income tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecha_chaos View Post
PEOPLE I WANT TO KILL COZ IM SO JEALOUS AT HOW COOL THEY ARE:
fury, dark, iceh, falon, mogsy, kittykat, hellicios, trigeki, elite dragon,Skutria, magic onion, dac vin, xioa bai, a5ka, bobbleness, abbygail, bicep, draggonik, mistresskitty, tristesse, Seiken, tallas, Usagi, Darnell0216, Falon, replica, saban, somnica, yang3617, White_Shadow, Godofdarkness, nash0r3, raptoot, Waterlin r da COOLEST
yang3617 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2012, 02:09   #8
Heyga4Huk
noble ftw

Heyga4Huk has a reputation beyond reputeHeyga4Huk has a reputation beyond reputeHeyga4Huk has a reputation beyond reputeHeyga4Huk has a reputation beyond reputeHeyga4Huk has a reputation beyond reputeHeyga4Huk has a reputation beyond reputeHeyga4Huk has a reputation beyond reputeHeyga4Huk has a reputation beyond reputeHeyga4Huk has a reputation beyond reputeHeyga4Huk has a reputation beyond reputeHeyga4Huk has a reputation beyond repute
Absurd?
20% VAT is absurd!

First wat-war-tro on Unicorn.
130 wat-130 war-130 tro on Unicorn.

This is Bulgaria.
Heyga4Huk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2012, 07:37   #9
Promethean

Promethean has a reputation beyond reputePromethean has a reputation beyond reputePromethean has a reputation beyond reputePromethean has a reputation beyond reputePromethean has a reputation beyond reputePromethean has a reputation beyond reputePromethean has a reputation beyond reputePromethean has a reputation beyond reputePromethean has a reputation beyond reputePromethean has a reputation beyond reputePromethean has a reputation beyond repute
You think that's bad try:

20% VAT;
up to 45% income tax;
up to 28% capital gains tax;
40% inheritance tax; and
progressive stamp duty land tax up to 7%.

I pay 40% income tax and it ****ing hurts.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:08   #10
Heyga4Huk
noble ftw

Heyga4Huk has a reputation beyond reputeHeyga4Huk has a reputation beyond reputeHeyga4Huk has a reputation beyond reputeHeyga4Huk has a reputation beyond reputeHeyga4Huk has a reputation beyond reputeHeyga4Huk has a reputation beyond reputeHeyga4Huk has a reputation beyond reputeHeyga4Huk has a reputation beyond reputeHeyga4Huk has a reputation beyond reputeHeyga4Huk has a reputation beyond reputeHeyga4Huk has a reputation beyond repute
Who said communism lost the Cold War?

so what's the estimated tax burden (government budget % of total GDP?)

First wat-war-tro on Unicorn.
130 wat-130 war-130 tro on Unicorn.

This is Bulgaria.
Heyga4Huk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2012, 02:25   #11
Promethean

Public sector net debt is 65.7% of GDP. Factoring in financial bailouts etc. it's more like 147.3% of GDP. Debt interest payments are approx. 3% of GDP.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:27   #12
MyThirdAccount
Banned

MyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond reputeMyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond reputeMyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond reputeMyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond reputeMyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond reputeMyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond reputeMyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond reputeMyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond reputeMyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond reputeMyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond reputeMyThirdAccount has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethean View Post
***20844;***20849;***37096;***38272;***30340;***28136;***20661;***21209;***20308;***22283;***20839;***29983;***29986;***32317;***20540;***30340;***12290;***20445;***29702;***26989;***21209;***30340;***37329;***34701;***25937;***21161;***31561;***65292;***23427;***26356;***20687;***26159;***20308;***22283;***20839;***29983;***29986;***32317;***20540;***30340;***12290;***20661;***21209;***25903;***20184;***30340;***21033;***24687;***32004;***12290; ***20308;***22283;***20839;***29983;***29986;***32317;***20540;***30340;***12290;
This whole thread.
MyThirdAccount is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: