Old 03-10-2017, 07:46   #1
lipase

lipase has a reputation beyond reputelipase has a reputation beyond reputelipase has a reputation beyond reputelipase has a reputation beyond reputelipase has a reputation beyond reputelipase has a reputation beyond reputelipase has a reputation beyond reputelipase has a reputation beyond reputelipase has a reputation beyond reputelipase has a reputation beyond reputelipase has a reputation beyond repute
Wuxia/Xianxia Novels

I have been reading Wuxia novels for a year now and I must say I'm hooked. So what is it you might ask?

What is wuxia?

Wuxia is made from two characters; ‘Wu’ and ‘Xia’, which literally mean ‘martial hero’. Wuxia stories are basically martial arts stories, with an essentially ‘real’ world filled with people who do incredible things through martial arts and generating ‘qi’, which allows them to leap long distances across rooftops and skip across water, a la Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon. Asian fans here surely have heard of famous novels/adaptations like the Legend of the Condor Heroes, Return of the Condor Heroes, Swordsman/Smiling Proud Wanderer, Seven Swordsmen (by Tsui Hark), etc. ‘Horizon, Bright Moon, Sabre’, is another example of Wuxia. These are all ‘Wuxia’; novels that are grounded in real-life Chinese martial arts and internal energy cultivation (qigong) techniques that are kicked up to an exaggeratedly awesome level.

What is xianxia?

As for Xianxia, the characters forming it are ‘Xian’ and ‘Xia’, which literally means ‘immortal hero’. Xianxia is a newer genre and is essentially a ‘fantasy-fied’ version of Wuxia, with magic, demons, immortals, people who can fly, etc. The biggest contributor to the Xianxia genre is actually not martial arts; rather, it is ‘Taoism’, which is a major part of Chinese history. Taoism is both a philosophical way of life as well as an actual religion. Religious Taoism is often blurred together with Chinese folk mythologies, and is chock-full of stories about demons, ghosts, and people learning how to become immortals through meditation/understanding the ways of heaven, and flying in the air and casting powerful magic spells. The legendary Monkey King, Sun Wukong (whom Son Goku of DBZ is based off of) acquired his power through Taoist practices, and the concept of the Yin-Yang is also from Taoism. Xianxia blends lots of these folk stories and magical Taoist legends into their stories in a way which ‘true’ Wuxia stories almost never do.

I have been reading on Wuxiaworld.com and that's where I got the info about wuxia/xianxia. I started reading the novel Coiling Dragon and after that long journey I was hooked.

Now I read: Desolate Era, Sovereign of the Three Realms, Spirit realm and Warlock of the Magus World.

Anyone else reading Wuxia? And if you're new and want to try it out, I can recommend reading Coiling Dragon since it is already completed.

Some info about Wuxiaworld if you're interested:

Wuxiaworld.com, owned by Wuxiaworld Limited, was founded in December of 2014 by RWX, a passionate fan of Wuxia novels. It quickly rose to prominence as the largest Chinese-to-English novel translation platform in the world. Ranked by Alexa as one of the top 2000 websites in the United States, and with millions of pageviews per day, Wuxiaworld has become a brand name in Chinese-to-English novel translation excellence.

Many of Wuxiaworld’s translators originally cut their teeth on Wuxia classics such as novels by Louis Cha and Gulong, and have since moved on more modern Xianxia, Qihuan, and Xuanhuan novels, such as Coiling Dragon (***30424;***40857, I Shall Seal the Heavens (***25105;***27442;***23553;***22825, Martial God Asura (***20462;***32599;***27494;***31070, and more. Wuxiaworld Limited enjoys a strong, collaborative relationship with original rights holders such as 17k.com, and will be expanding into the e-publishing business in 2016. The translators of Wuxiaworld are driven by an abiding passion for Chinese fiction, and we continue to look for more opportunities to expand the reach of popular Chinese culture and fiction into the Western world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahana View Post
just wanted to say I like your name....

back to my hole...
Quote:
Originally Posted by trunks006 View Post
Rxin, please
lipase is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2017, 01:33   #2
Promethean

Promethean has a reputation beyond reputePromethean has a reputation beyond reputePromethean has a reputation beyond reputePromethean has a reputation beyond reputePromethean has a reputation beyond reputePromethean has a reputation beyond reputePromethean has a reputation beyond reputePromethean has a reputation beyond reputePromethean has a reputation beyond reputePromethean has a reputation beyond reputePromethean has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipase View Post
I have been reading Wuxia novels for a year now and I must say I'm hooked. So what is it you might ask?

What is wuxia?

Wuxia is made from two characters; ‘Wu’ and ‘Xia’, which literally mean ‘martial hero’. Wuxia stories are basically martial arts stories, with an essentially ‘real’ world filled with people who do incredible things through martial arts and generating ‘qi’, which allows them to leap long distances across rooftops and skip across water, a la Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon. Asian fans here surely have heard of famous novels/adaptations like the Legend of the Condor Heroes, Return of the Condor Heroes, Swordsman/Smiling Proud Wanderer, Seven Swordsmen (by Tsui Hark), etc. ‘Horizon, Bright Moon, Sabre’, is another example of Wuxia. These are all ‘Wuxia’; novels that are grounded in real-life Chinese martial arts and internal energy cultivation (qigong) techniques that are kicked up to an exaggeratedly awesome level.

What is xianxia?

As for Xianxia, the characters forming it are ‘Xian’ and ‘Xia’, which literally means ‘immortal hero’. Xianxia is a newer genre and is essentially a ‘fantasy-fied’ version of Wuxia, with magic, demons, immortals, people who can fly, etc. The biggest contributor to the Xianxia genre is actually not martial arts; rather, it is ‘Taoism’, which is a major part of Chinese history. Taoism is both a philosophical way of life as well as an actual religion. Religious Taoism is often blurred together with Chinese folk mythologies, and is chock-full of stories about demons, ghosts, and people learning how to become immortals through meditation/understanding the ways of heaven, and flying in the air and casting powerful magic spells. The legendary Monkey King, Sun Wukong (whom Son Goku of DBZ is based off of) acquired his power through Taoist practices, and the concept of the Yin-Yang is also from Taoism. Xianxia blends lots of these folk stories and magical Taoist legends into their stories in a way which ‘true’ Wuxia stories almost never do.

I have been reading on Wuxiaworld.com and that's where I got the info about wuxia/xianxia. I started reading the novel Coiling Dragon and after that long journey I was hooked.

Now I read: Desolate Era, Sovereign of the Three Realms, Spirit realm and Warlock of the Magus World.

Anyone else reading Wuxia? And if you're new and want to try it out, I can recommend reading Coiling Dragon since it is already completed.

Wuxiaworld.com, owned by Wuxiaworld Limited, was founded in December of 2014 by RWX, a passionate fan of Wuxia novels. It quickly rose to prominence as the largest Chinese-to-English novel translation platform in the world. Ranked by Alexa as one of the top 2000 websites in the United States, and with millions of pageviews per day, Wuxiaworld has become a brand name in Chinese-to-English novel translation excellence.

Many of Wuxiaworld’s translators originally cut their teeth on Wuxia classics such as novels by Louis Cha and Gulong, and have since moved on more modern Xianxia, Qihuan, and Xuanhuan novels, such as Coiling Dragon (***30424;***40857, I Shall Seal the Heavens (***25105;***27442;***23553;***22825, Martial God Asura (***20462;***32599;***27494;***31070, and more. Wuxiaworld Limited enjoys a strong, collaborative relationship with original rights holders such as 17k.com, and will be expanding into the e-publishing business in 2016. The translators of Wuxiaworld are driven by an abiding passion for Chinese fiction, and we continue to look for more opportunities to expand the reach of popular Chinese culture and fiction into the Western world.
I like some wuxia films like Hero and Curse of the Golden Flower, mainly for the cinematography.
Old 03-14-2017, 19:22   #3
bahana
Spamomod

bahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

What is wuxia?

What is xianxia?

I'll have to check it out. Any first recommendations? When you read this in a month.

To see with eyes unclouded by hate.

I'm a guy

Quote:
Forgive my rudeness. I cannot abide useless people.
bahana is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2017, 03:02   #4
lipase

lipase has a reputation beyond reputelipase has a reputation beyond reputelipase has a reputation beyond reputelipase has a reputation beyond reputelipase has a reputation beyond reputelipase has a reputation beyond reputelipase has a reputation beyond reputelipase has a reputation beyond reputelipase has a reputation beyond reputelipase has a reputation beyond reputelipase has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I'll have to check it out. Any first recommendations? When you read this in a month.
My recommendations:

- Coiling dragon
- Desolate Era
- Spirit Realm
- Sovereign of the Three Realms
- Warlock of the Magus World
- (True)/Martial world

You might not like my recommendations, but these are the ones I follow. I like a few other novels, but I'll wait until they're finished before starting to binge reading them all.
I found this genre around 2015-2016 and it made my days as a student a bit more brighter.

Quote:

back to my hole...
Quote:
Rxin, please
Old 03-24-2017, 17:07   #5
bahana
Spamomod

bahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond reputebahana has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
My recommendations:

- Coiling dragon
- Desolate Era
- Spirit Realm
- (True)/Martial world

You might not like my recommendations, but these are the ones I follow. I like a few other novels, but I'll wait until they're finished before starting to binge reading them all.
I found this genre around 2015-2016 and it made my days as a student a bit more brighter.
Thanks, I'll have to check some of these out. I like to listen to audiobooks when I do tissue culture so I have plenty of time.

I'm a guy

Quote:
Old 04-09-2017, 13:13   #6
lipase

Quote:
Thanks, I'll have to check some of these out. I like to listen to audiobooks when I do tissue culture so I have plenty of time.
Just looked up what tissue culture meant... interesting. I don't know if there are any wuxia audiobooks though.

Quote:

back to my hole...
Quote:
Rxin, please
Old 04-10-2017, 20:55   #7
bahana
Spamomod

Quote:
Just looked up what tissue culture meant... interesting. I don't know if there are any wuxia audiobooks though.
lol I couldn't find any. Oh well there are a couple new fantasy books I need to try out anyways.

I'm a guy

Quote:
Old 04-20-2017, 17:08   #8
Sepharius
Nuisance

Sepharius has a reputation beyond reputeSepharius has a reputation beyond reputeSepharius has a reputation beyond reputeSepharius has a reputation beyond reputeSepharius has a reputation beyond reputeSepharius has a reputation beyond reputeSepharius has a reputation beyond reputeSepharius has a reputation beyond reputeSepharius has a reputation beyond reputeSepharius has a reputation beyond reputeSepharius has a reputation beyond repute
Oh man I've been reading since 2014.
NovelUpdates is your friend.

I advise trying Japanese and Korean novels too, although Wuxia will always be best.
Some good ones I have read and enjoyed.

Good Chinese novels:
- Martial World
- True Martial World
- Emperor's Domination
- I shall seal the heavens
- Renegade Immortal
- Coiling Dragon
- Stellar Transformation
- Douluo Dalu
- Chaotic Sword God
- Against the Gods
- Battle through the heavens
- The experimental log of the crazy lich
- Transcending the nine heavens
- Zhanxian
- Otherworldly Evil Monarch
- Realms in the firmament
- Tales of demons and Gods
- Close Combat Mage
- Heavenly Jewel Change
- In a different world with the Naruto system (interesting approach even if you dislike Naruto)
- Dragon Marked War God

Good Korean novels:
- Reincarnator
- Seoul Stations Necromancer
- The lazy swordmaster
- Legendary Moonlight Sculptor
- Ark

Good Japanese novels:
- Mushoku Tensei
- Tsuyokute New Saga
- Overlord
- RE;MONSTER
- To deprive a deprived person
- World Teacher - Other world style education and agent

Quote:
My recommendations:

- Coiling dragon
- Desolate Era
- Spirit Realm
- (True)/Martial world
1. Stellar Transformation is a sequel.
2. This is the sequel of Stellar transformation, they can be read in any order though so don't panic. Try The Nine Cauldrons and Swallowed Star.
3. Watching this one, plan to read when 500+ are translated.
4. You would really like Emperor's Domination and Zhanxian.
5. Didn't like this much because he's evil as ****.
6. Read Martial World, it's the prequel and is just as good.

Last edited by Sepharius; 04-20-2017 at 17:20.
Sepharius is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: