Conquer Online Forum - Free Kung Fu MMORPG

Conquer Online Forum - Free Kung Fu MMORPG (http://bbs.co.99.com/index.php)
-   Newcomer's Harbor (http://bbs.co.99.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Newbie 101: All new players please read before posting! (http://bbs.co.99.com/showthread.php?t=431527)

Starshine 11-05-2007 14:19

Newbie 101: All new players please read before posting!
 
Welcome to Conquer! Please take a look through this guide as it will answer a lot of your questions about the game. Though this guide will not fully answer all your questions, feel welcome to ask any questions you may have in a topic that is not discussed here either in a separate thread, or in this thread. It will take roughly 10 minutes to read through the guide if you decide not to look through the links provided (which are highlighted in color for your convenience!).

Introduction:
=========

This thread will contain very useful links and general hints / tips for a new player to this game. I'll start with a link to the official website to Conquer:

Please familarize yourself with the game first starting with first the player classes.

Once you've decided on which class to play, now it's time to choose which server to play on. There are many servers to play and there are lots of reasons to choose a big server vs a small server. The link below will take you through a basic pro's and cons of server sizes

Server Size Pro's and Cons

Now that you've decide where to play, it's time to do it!
You'll spend some time in Twin City now, so it's a good idea to see what's around in the neighborhood...

Note the importance of knowing where the pharmacist, armorer, blacksmith, and warehouseman are as you will need to know in the future. Also, locate the job center as it will be vital for your class promotions! Finally, you'll want to know the guild conductress and the conductress and their functions.

Suit up! Use the blacksmith and the armorer in Twin City to equip your character with some basic weapons and armor. You'll find some different quality items from monster drops. You can look at all the weapon/armor/accessory stats here!

As you walk (or jump) around town, you can hold the "shift" button down to see all the names of the players that are around you. You may also notice that each person has a Guild Name over their names. You can learn more about guilds!

Player names can also be different colors depending on their pk mode. Be careful around those who are in PK mode! You can lose valuable experience as well as items in your inventory if you're killed by another player.

You'll spend an hour or so running around just outside of Twin City killing phesants and turtle doves. I've provided a map (from the official website) of Twin City. Use this to get around. There are many other maps to navigate to, but you'll want to concentrate primarily on this one map to get started.

If you're curious, you can always look up the vital information of the monsters you kill.

Most monsters will drop something after they are killed. My suggestion is to hold on to any item you think may be of value. Once you get more familiar with the game, you can then decide what to do with it. Some items may have requirements, others do not.. and some have special purpose in the game... all of this you'll need to determine... so put it in your warehouse if you're not sure!

WARNING: Do NOT use items while in a jump. Do NOT drop items while jumping! These two actions may cause your character to be innocently jailed for cheating. It is one of TQ's auto-detection systems for botting and scripting (cheat programs).

If you're bored or just want to take a break from kililng phesants, you can always try a quest to relieve you of your boredom.
Here is a list of all the normal event quests. From here, decide whether or not it is practical or feasible to take on these quests:

While this is a lot of information, finding friends and forming teams are a great way to enhance the game environment. Communication among players can often be daunting and if you're not familiar with "IM speak," you can look up the most common acronyms and abbreviations here in this link:

Once you have made your way through all the monsters in the Twin City map, you can then move on to new maps... new monsters.. new quests! Dont know where to go? Help is available! There's a scroll with a question mark flashing. You'll notice it's next to the blue "shopping mall" orb located on the bottom left hand corner of your screen. If you click on it, a window will pop up telling your some information on monsters, quests of your level. Just reference one of my links above to find maps, monsters, locations of the most common ones.

Starshine 11-05-2007 14:20

Credits: Thanks to TheEternal, Kitsu, HTAPAWASO for their contributions to this guide.

Revision information:
===============

11/06/07: Linked to TheEternal's thread on server comparison
11/05/07: Embedded hyperlinks into text, and highlighted the links for ease of navigating. Added section on jumping/using items in mid air.
11/04/07: Initial revision

TheEternal 11-05-2007 14:26

Should also add:

"Any time a player approaches you, just jump away, because the majority of CO players are losers who like making you waste pots, and also enjoy stealing whatever mob it is you're fighting."

(Many bad experiences in this area... and I only just started playing. Lame.)

Starshine 11-05-2007 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEternal (Post 6669090)
Should also add:

"Any time a player approaches you, just jump away, because the majority of CO players are losers who like making you waste pots, and also enjoy stealing whatever mob it is you're fighting."

(Many bad experiences in this area... and I only just started playing. Lame.)


Hmmm.... a section for PK would be an interesting read, however, Twin City is a safe city, and you should not be getting attacked. Any player that PK's on that map can be banned if proof is provided. I would consider PK to be in an "advanced" newbie guide ... the whole point would be to get the newbie safely to level 20ish... this guide will ignore power levelling and instead focus on basic methods and strategies ... a lot of players have strayed from this... as a result, we have level 70 newbies asking what to do after they dont and cant get plevelled anymore.

TheEternal 11-05-2007 14:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starshine (Post 6669161)
Hmmm.... a section for PK would be an interesting read, however, Twin City is a safe city, and you should not be getting attacked. Any player that PK's on that map can be banned if proof is provided. I would consider PK to be in an "advanced" newbie guide ... the whole point would be to get the newbie safely to level 20ish... this guide will ignore power levelling and instead focus on basic methods and strategies ... a lot of players have strayed from this... as a result, we have level 70 newbies asking what to do after they dont get plevelled.

'twas in Phoenix City... Every time I'm levelling there, I get KS'd and attacked.

What a bunch of douche bags.

RoidB*tch 11-05-2007 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEternal (Post 6669254)
'twas in Phoenix City... Every time I'm levelling there, I get KS'd and attacked.

What a bunch of douche bags.

Yah, I've made new chars out of boredom and amazingly got PK'd quite a bit, to include by some of my friends and guild mates that didn't know it was me on the "secret" guildless char.

TheEternal 11-05-2007 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoidB*tch (Post 6669343)
Yah, I've made new chars out of boredom and amazingly got PK'd quite a bit, to include by some of my friends and guild mates that didn't know it was me on the "secret" guildless char.

Hah, that sucks. Did you ever tell them it was you?

Happened to me on many other games, and they always feel like such idiots after.

... Especially considering they were always much weaker than my main character. :D

Kitsu 11-05-2007 17:08

Starshine - Add in that dropping items while moving gets you the botjail :/ Even a lot of "advanced" players fall for this one intentionally or not. It'll be tough on a new player to have teh char they worked hard for just end up in BJ cos they didn't know.

And sticky this thread!!!

0 cooL 11-05-2007 18:38

I agree STICKY!

TheEternal 11-05-2007 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsu (Post 6670411)
Starshine - Add in that dropping items while moving gets you the botjail :/ Even a lot of "advanced" players fall for this one intentionally or not. It'll be tough on a new player to have teh char they worked hard for just end up in BJ cos they didn't know.

And sticky this thread!!!

Does doing other things while jumping get you thrown in BotJail?

I jump/sit around for fun sometimes, because it looks funny.

Holey-Monk 11-05-2007 21:09

Nice i think this deserves a sticky. maybe as a sticky it will catch peoples eyes better. Good job

TheEternal 11-05-2007 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holey-Monk (Post 6672273)
Nice i think this deserves a sticky. maybe as a sticky it will catch peoples eyes better. Good job

Sometimes something sticky catching one in the eye is a very, very bad thing. :eek:

Kitsu 11-05-2007 21:12

Yep, just don't throw items off, or use scrolls while in midair.

TheEternal 11-05-2007 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsu (Post 6672293)
Yep, just don't throw items off, or use scrolls while in midair.

Yikes. I've used scrolls mid-air before... I'll not do that in future.

Kitsu 11-05-2007 21:20

Try not to, they seem to not catch players "everytime" but when you do it is a pain. Start a new char or try emailing and waiting for weeks - months for a GM to let you out? Watch out for lag as well if you're on dial up. I always wait 1-2 secs after I drop things before I move and I'm on cable.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:42.